Just a Switch engine......

Started by E.M. Bell, March 25, 2009, 07:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

Once the rulers of such famous places as Saluda Grade, Once the prefered power for everything from tonnage coal trains to the hottest pigs, known as the best EMD ever built, an Engineers Engine.  31 years old, a little battered and beaten wearing the colors of its Second owner, and now just a switch engine.

NS SD40-2 #3285, this weeks power for the Lawrenceburg (KY) local T19.

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR

I saw that thing a couple of times last week while visiting l-burg but the rain kept me in the jeep.  I couldnt tell from woodford st. what it was but I thought it looked a little big.  it is hard to believe the emd gold standard engine now a switch engine, whodathunkit!!!  I always thought that the snout on those engines were big enough to hold a high school prom on!! who knows next month a dash 9? ;D
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

amzopff

Actually, in previous weeks, T19 was handled by a Dash 9.

E.M. Bell

They have been drawing 6 axle power now for a few weeks...seems like all the Geeps have disappeared 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

TM3358

The Tate&Lyle crews have had a gp 38-2 5005 and a CR SD50 5442 today they have gp 50 7081 and GP 38-2 5331 but T 69 has been runnig GEVOs

Backyard

8) The locals around Rome, GA have used SD40's for ten years....it's cheaper than two GP38's.

G34 uses one every day, needed to shove the cement lead in Rockmart.

Watching a SD40 move down Glen Milner Blvd in Rome between the two lanes to work the flour mill & scrapyard was a hoot!
Backyard/Allen

TM3358

That 3285 looks to be sportting a couple of new wheels

blacksheep

Just a switch engine, HA!  Think about it, with a growler or a geep you get 4 traction motors with 1 locomotive or you need 2 loco's to get eight motors. With a geep and a slug you need a loco and a half to get 8 motors but with this  " switch engine"  you get 6 motors with 1 loco. Also, you get that big front porch to hang out on if you have to sit awhile. I always wanted to get a picture  with the crew sitting in a couple of  lawn chairs with  feet proped up and a cooler (of cokes) between them. Maybe they should rename them to M.P. 40-2 since they seem to be able to do it all. I still here the turbos on them but i wonder, have they done anything to make them load faster than they did when they were road engines?  The new wheels is a good sign.  Like my old pick-up, I ain't goin to but new wheels on it if I'm going to sell it. Hopefuly these things will be around a long time.

TM3358

Our Gp 16 had a switch for road or switch mode i have heard the cres for ex t 73 come in from their local job and before they started cutting out our cars to build T 69 to throw the switch from road to switch that was on 5518 our motor was built in the 50's or 60's and it had one so i would think that all newer power for yard and road use would have them

ssmith1627

I miss hanging out here with you guys !

These are some really great shots.  I like them a lot.

Steve

E.M. Bell

hows things going in your new location steve??  Hope you are not have train withdrawals yet  :)
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

ssmith1627

I have yet to see a single train roll through Cookeville and I've been there a month now !     Luckily I'm up to my eyeballs in work.  Otherwise, I'd really be hurting from giving up this hobby cold turkey.

Steve

blacksheep

I said the other day these engines seem to be able to do it all but I've been thinking. They might look alittle out of place on the OCS train.

Backyard

Quote from: ssmith1627 on April 18, 2009, 08:05:55 AM
I have yet to see a single train roll through Cookeville and I've been there a month now !     Luckily I'm up to my eyeballs in work.  Otherwise, I'd really be hurting from giving up this hobby cold turkey.

Steve

8) Hello Steve, I hope your new job is doing well...

I tried to not mislead you into thinking that Cookeville is a railroad mecca...actually all railroading is slow at this time...

I use a railroad simulator called Auran Trainz & railroad off things I have learned in the 46 years I have studied the US railroading scene.

I am making routes of several areas of the US using Digital Elevation Modeling with Topo maps & track charts.

Homeland Security has changed what can happen line-side so I let the Professionals do the photographing & review their efforts on sites like Jreb.org.

I know your hungry for line-side action, remember there is an excursion from Nashville to Monterey May 2, I'd be in Cookeville at the depot between 10AM- to follow the train to Algood, then take Wall St. to Brotherton Mt. road & pick spots to listen/watch the train pull Brotherton Mountain.

There is a dogwood festival in Monterey that day & the train will stop for a period of time there.

PM me for a tour.
Backyard/Allen

Batman

nice ,  here she is in charleston , tn last year.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk