Railfanning on the injured list

Started by E.M. Bell, April 02, 2006, 05:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

It was anouther one of those unplanned outings that resulted in some good shots.  After twisting my left knee at work on Friday, I figured the weekend would be spent at home. The offending knee was swollen and not working just right (happens all the time, just sometimes worse than others) on Saturday Morning, and I was preparing for a boring day when Greg calls and wants to head out for awhile..  After pondering on it, I decided to go..the sun was out and the radio was busy with trains....the choice was easy.. I figured I would just hang out in the truck and take it easy..

Not being able to make our usual hikes into the regular places was actually a good thing. It forced me to look for new places and angles to shoot from near the truck.  Here are a few from the afternoon...I was pleased with the results of this "armchair" trip... Click on the thumbnails for a larger image.

Southbound 143 with a BNSF leader passed the NS brush cutter at the North end of the Danville (ky) yard.  

Fire Damage on a GE, Imagine that!!  

NS 283 at Milidgeville KY, with a pair of C39-8's, including NS 8204 leading in CLEAN CR paint.

283 again at Kings Mountain. This was about as far away from the truck as I ventured all day..

NS 124 with a standard issue catfish leading at Geneva Ky

We moved down between Geneva and South Fork to hang out for a bit. Three Southbound in a row had left Danville, so we decieded to hang out at the Green River dip to shoot them These shots are only possable during the winter and early spring...in anouther month the brush will be to high..

NS 229 hustle the UPS loads South

Followed by NS 223, with a new SD70M-2 leading..

And the last of the Southbound trio, a 44A grain train

By now the sun had swung around enough that we could shoot a few Northbounds. We moved down the bridge at Southfork for a 294

The final three trains of the day would be at the CP at Southfork. This location used to be grown up to bad to shoot, but thanks to a storm a few months back, all of the vegitation is gone. These are the first shots I have taken from this location.

NS 93T work train dropping ties, with a SD40-2 running long hood forward..sweet!

A wide angle shot of Northbound 284 at the same location.

And the last train of the day, Triplecrown 264.

Enjoy!
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk