Thoroughbreds In The Snow

Started by cmherndon, February 13, 2006, 06:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmherndon

A literary work of art (yeah, right).

Prologue

So the weathermen actually got something right.  Indeed, several inches of snow fell on Central Kentucky this past weekend, which only means one thing: snow photos!  With a good snow forecast for Sunday, Emmett, Randy, and I finalized plans for the first snow photography expedition since 2004.

Part I - Hanging Out In Danville

Randy met me at the house at around 0800 and we rode down to Danville to meet up with Emmett and Greg.  Upon our arrival at Faulkner Road, we see 287 waiting for a new crew.  It had a new GEVO (NS 7539...still in primer) leading, so I shot a totally lame cloudy roster shot of it.  Why?  Because I can.

We hear 376 getting closer and all head in different directions to get shots.  Randy pulls the truck off the road to get a shot at ground level, which means I have to walk back up to the bridge.  Luckily, I hear 376 blowing the horn for the Faulkner Road crossing...well, so I thought.  I ended up standing on the bridge for a while, freezing my butt off.  It looked so suspicious, I'm surprised the locals didn't call the law on me.  Then again, I wasn't at Waddy.  376 starts moving again after what seems like an eternity, and I somehow manage to actually pull off a halfway decent shot.

111's up next, but there was only one available shot and it sucked horribly.  After they clear, 287 starts pulling with the usual "Diverging Route Approach Restricting" signal.  All four of us were on the bridge, and I think we all got the same angle on it.  I almost didn't shoot this one because how many more shots do I need from the wye?

An earlier phone call informed us that several trains were running later than usual and that 177 had EMDX 76 leading out of Cincinnati.  Rather than heading south early, we decide to hang out in Danville for a while and wait for it.  

111 was sitting at Perryville St. upon our arrival at the yard, and they had just started up the third unit which was smoking profusely.  This is a regular occurence during startup, and usually the only time you'll see an EMD smoke.  After watching them leave and TD02 do some switching, the four of us decide that it's a good time to go grab some lunch...

Part II - "This will end badly"

Those four words are usually muttered after one consumes the culinary delights known as Krystal burgers.  I don't think any explanation is needed there.

Part III - Kamikaze Railfanning

So we head back over to the yard to wait for 177.  I heard it call the signal at Bishop (Lexington), but nothing after that.  We were all busy watching 283 when we heard 177 go by the signal at Faulkner.  Speed limits were more than likely broken on the drive over to the Danville Bypass.  I had to run across the road to get the shot, and in steel toed boots, that's not exactly a great idea since they're not the most comfortable footwear in the world.  But I got the shot, and that's what matters.

After getting another shot of the train heading into the yard, Randy and I start heading south to find a suitable location to shoot 177 again.  It's snowing hard at Bowen, but not at Moreland, so we parked at Moreland and waited, only to have the sun come out. 282 was stopped at Palm waiting on at least one southbound.  I thought NS would've run 283 and 177 together, but alas, that did not happen.  However, Emmett and Greg met us at Bowen, and that gave me some time to tell a 100% totally politically incorrect joke.  E-mail me if you'd like to know how it went.  I also used this time to expand my photographic horizons a bit more.

Part IV - A Testament to the EMD

177 leaves after 282 passes, and I shot it across the field at Bowen.  You can see that photo on the main page at my website (//www.cmherndon.com).  Randy and I get ahead of the train and are halfway up the mountain when we hear 177's crew report that they're having engine troubles.  Apparently, the two trailing units crapped out on them.  124's waiting at Kings Mountain for them, and will have to wait "a while" since 177 might have to get a shove up the hill.

Near whiteout conditions greet us upon our arrival at Kings Mountain, but of course the snow stops and the sun comes out again.  I believe this is the only time I've wanted the sun to stay BEHIND the clouds.  Go figure.

177 was moving slowly, but surely up the hill with only one good engine.  The last report I heard was 4 mph.  We watched the train come around the curve and slowly drag up the hill for several minutes.  The single engine was only rated for around 4000 tons, but pulled a total of 5730 up the mountain solo.  Interestingly enough, that 710 block was rather quiet.  Dang EPA!  Oh yeah, the photo turned out well too.

124 gets moving after 177 clears, and the snow starts up shortly thereafter.  As we're all sitting around shooting the breeze, here comes 224 around the curve kicking up all the fresh snow.  Of course, those of us who weren't ready filled the air with colorful language.  I at least did get a snow shot while I was at the mountain, just not the one I wanted.

Don't try this at home, kids, I'm a trained professional.  Here's another thing not to try unless you're a trained professional: The Elbonian Snow Dance.  Greg is a trained professional, so it's OK for him.

Part V - FEMA Trains and More Snow

133 is the next southbound, and we watch it go past Rube Brown Rd., near South Fork, KY.  043 isn't too far behind, but getting a shot required more Kamikaze Railfanning.  We were already past Geneva when the train went by Palm.  A moonshiner's U-turn was executed to make it back to Geneva, and we beat the train there by 30 seconds or so.  My shot totally sucked, but hey, at least it's a high hood.

I usually don't shoot the rear end of a train, but I thought the trailers looked kind of neat going by.

Emmett and Greg headed on to the house after 043, but let us know that 215 was leaving Danville.  The heavy snow picked up again, and I suggested going to the White Oak crossing at Junction City.  That decision wasn't the best since the snow was gone there.  So we headed to Moreland, and finally got a train in some heavy snow.  

That was the last shot of the day, and the snow stopped shortly after the train passed.  We headed home after this since the light was all but gone at this point.  It was a great day for snow, trains, and BS-ing, the latter of which happens on any trip.

That's all I've got for now.  Until next time, I hope y'all enjoy and thanks for looking!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk