765 Throttle Time!

Started by Tweetsiefireman, December 06, 2006, 10:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tweetsiefireman

What started out as a disappointing trip to the Chicago/Fort Wayne area on Friday turned into a fantastic trip. Snow storm caused out flight to be canceled on Friday and the earliest flight we could book was on Saturday at noon. This sounds ok, but I had booked Throttle Time on NKP 765 Saturday afternoon around 215pm and had to cancel. Well we landed in snowy Chicago around 215pm Saturday and had a 3 hour drive to Fort Wayne. Sunday we decided after breakfast to head over to at least see the 765 since Saturday I had to cancel. We arrived after getting lost heading over to Train Town and saw that the 765 was indeed under steam and there was some type of video crew capturing some back and forth runs on the shop track. I decided to grab a few shots in the cold (15 degrees with 25 MPH winds in the middle of a corn field). After the video crew wrapped up a gentleman from the 765 organization approached me and we talked for a bit and I explained what had happened to us the day before.......and not 4 minutes later I was approached and asked to join the crew in the cab. Another gentleman climbed in the cab and asked me if I wanted my throttle time since we were not able to make it on Saturday. Needless to say I was elated. Jennifer and I (yes I have a great girlfriend whos first ride in a train was in the 765's cab Sunday) climbed into the cab and I got seated in the engineers seat and was given a rundown on how to operate the massive steam locomotive. The guys gave me a good 20-30 minutes behind the throttle and after a little while I got a pretty good hang of it. (I am used to seeing them operated as I used to fire on a narrow gauge line). Needless to say I want to thank the guys that operate and restored the 765. This North Carolina guy was taken back by the generosity and friendliness of the guys in Fort Wayne and their willingness to extend my late Throttle Time in the absolutely freezing weather on a Sunday afternoon. If you have not been to Fort Wayne to see this locomotive you need to go, it is absolutely beautiful.

Pictures are here: http://jreb.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=4381

Enjoy and hopefully we will see 765 on excursions in 2007.

Oh yea, we rode Metra as well in Chicago, nice commuter line, but it lives in the shadows of the Fort Wayne visit.

Enginecrew

Nice pictures Bart, glad you got the chance to run the Berk. She's a nice engine, it's just a shame other steamers that were restored don't run any longer. BTW, where in NC do you live? (Send a PM on that if you'd rather.)

cmherndon

Bart, it sounds like you had a great time up there in Fort Wayne, and those are some excellent detail shots you took.  She looks like a brand new engine! It'll be interesting to see what happens next year with regard to excursions and all.

How much does the throttle time cost?

QuoteOh yea, we rode Metra as well in Chicago, nice commuter line, but it lives in the shadows of the Fort Wayne visit.

Even a stop by the historic Joliet Union Depot in beautiful Joliet, IL can't top running some super power.   ;D
Caleb M. Herndon, KK4CDT
Frankfort, KY
http://www.cmherndon.com

"The human mind is like a railroad freight car; guaranteed to have a certain capacity, but often running empty."

JCagle

I tried to get him to go to Nick Hart's territory but he never would.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

Tweetsiefireman

Hey everyone thanks. Throttle time, while priceless is $75. The money goes to a great cause and is well worth it IMO. Not many places u can operate one of these things with you hand on the throttle and brakes. I hope she runs next year on a mainline somewhere, that thing is too beautiful to run on shortlines. Enginecrew, I live in Concord, about 20 miles north of Charlotte, how about you? And no Joliet visit this year! No time for that crap when the Berk is under steam nearby. :)

VirginiaSouthern

Beautiful shots Bart!  You look like you had a blast.  I'd have to say my favorite photo out of the entire bunch is the very first one in the album.

Now what I want to know is....do you have any more pics of the young lady in the cab with you?  :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk