Columbia-Cayce, SC December 4, 2006

Started by VirginiaSouthern, December 10, 2006, 08:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VirginiaSouthern

This past Monday I was able to get off from work and make it out to Columbia and Cayce, South Carolina to do a little much needed railfanning.  Just now posting them as I have not been at my computer since Monday afternoon.

It turned out to be a beautiful day for photos although I forgot just how different the sun angles in the Winter than the Summer.  Nonetheless, I was able to grab some (IMO) decent shots.  There is a mix of both NS & CSX shots

I got to Columbia and immediately headed to Devine Jct. around 0700 to a somewhat overcast sky where the sun was just starting to show itself.  I found this coal train slowly making its way through the junction heading Eastbound towards Andrews Yard.  The photo didn't come out the greatest and really looked horrible in color.  B&W makes it a little better.

After that I had a slight lull, which I used to sip some coffee, smoke a cigarette and listen to radio chatter from both CSX's Cayce Yard and NS' Andrews Yard.  Approximately 30 minutes later I hear from the scanner that a single CSX unit is making its way North across the Congaree River to turn around on the wye at Devine Jct (Columbia).  After making its way through the first switch point we find former Conrail C40-8W #7354 preparing to cross the NS mainline with its red lamps lit.

While waiting for the next round of action, I decided to do a little messing around with the camera.  What resulted were two pretty neat shots IMHO.  They are of the sky as reflected off the roof of my truck.

After another lull of about a half-hour or so I hear F750 on the horn.  Shortly thereafter I find the Columbia-Sumter Local, as I call it, making its way through Devine Jct. heading Eastbound towards my home base of Sumter.  In the lead was SD40-2 #8037 followed by a FURX counterpart.

About 2 or 3 cars back from the locos I found this little guy, a former Conrail caboose now used for transfer duty.

After catching a handful of shots in this Southeastern corner of Columbia, I decided to head across the river to Cayce for a little bit and see what was going on in and around the CSX yard there.

Coming across the North end of the Yard, things looked pretty slow so I continued driving around to the South end where I found this train (symbol unkown) about to depart Southbound for Savanah, GA.

Shortly after this trains departure, we find another train being broken down in the yard.  Helms Leasing SD40-2 #7869 is on point for this train.

After heading back around to the North end of the yard I snapped a photo of one of the crossing signals guarding State St. while waiting for the next train.

Shortly thereafter we find an old friend, CSX 7354 heading North out of the yard with T129.

Driving around once again to the South end of the yard we find the SMI Steel switcher smoking things up as it moves gons in and around the yard.  This MP15 is a former US Steel unit.

About 20 minutes later I hear Norfolk Southern 77N (with its load of autoracks) on the radio making its way across the Congaree River.  Shortly thereafter I was treated to quite a pleasant surprise when 77N peeked out from around a curve. :eek:  Pulling the train was not one, but TWO...count 'em TWO high-hood GP38-2s.  It is seen here just North of the State St. crossing and the interlocking.

Crossing State St. preparing to throw the switch at the interlocking to make its way onto the C-Line.

One last shot of the lead unit #5131 as it crosses Foreman St. just South of the interlocking.

Seeing as how it was getting close to lunchtime (and I would be having lunch with my wife), I decided to make my way back to Columbia.  As I crossed the river, I could hear that NS 156 was stopped at the signal just before Devine Jct. so I made my way to the wye one last time to find the train crossing the CSX wye track.

This marked my last photo of the day as I needed to make sure I was on time for my wife's lunchbreak at her job.

I hope you've all enjoyed this little report and I look forward to sharing the next one with you. :)

Cheers!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk