The First Snow of winter and EMD's on the NS Louisville District

Started by E.M. Bell, January 14, 2016, 08:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

This past Tuesday (01/12/16) The forecast for Central KY called for the First accumulating snow of the winter for us.  Now, I am One of those odd sort of people the LIKE snow...the more the better, and the cold and ice to go along with it, so this helped me to decide I need to take the camera for a ride that day, instead of doing more constructive things. 

The day dawned cloudy, windy and cold...but no snow.  Finally around 10am, the flakes started to fly, and I headed out for my first train near home, and the snow stopped about the time the train showed up....and started again as soon as I had pressed the shutter button...  The Louisville District was starting to get busy though, so I headed West to Waddy and towards the "Storm"  By the time I made the 45 min drive to Waddy, the ground was covered and it was snowing so hard I could hardly see to drive.....and then it stopped again as the next train showed up....yea, you get the point.  Our "Snow storm" lasted about Two hours, and manged to put maybe an inch on the ground in some spots......and the 45mph wind quickly blew all of that away.  To add insult to injury, the dang SUN came out about Noon, and it turned into a nice day......I have no luck at all :) 

One the up side of things, I shot 7 trains in about 3 hours, and all with EMD leaders, so hey, that something I guess! 

You can find the results from that "Snow Storm" at this link >>>>  http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/nsls16

01/12/16

A rather late NS 112 comes West by the signals at Salvisa, just after the First round of snow has stopped. 

112 again as the train tops over the hill at Waddy, KY with Eastbound 167 in the siding.  The ground was sorta white by this time, but it would be gone soon. 

A former BN SD40-2, recently purchased by NS,  leads local T-19 West at Waddy

Eastbound 376 drags up the West slope of Waddy hill, looking more like a hot pig train than the low and slow slop freight that it is.  That cut of stacks on the head are headed for Toyota at Georgetown, KY and the rest of the train was the usual mess of a little bit of everything.   By this time, the sun had come out and ruined a perfectly good moody day. 

After meeting 6 Westbounds at Waddy, 167 gets back on the move East, seen here at Avenstoke, KY
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk