A new point of view

Started by Matt L, May 16, 2014, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

I ventured down to the Southern Tier region (of NY) a week ago and had a great day trackside.

My morning included some shots of the Southern TIer Mainline from high a top a 6 story buidling near the tracks. I have never shot trains from this vantage point before- it sure was fun!

Eastbound NS coal train 524 idles:

Looking east at the NS and NYSW yards, with the former DLW station in the foreground:

The tail end of westbound NS manifest freight 12T next to eastbound 524:

The former DL&W station at ground level (which is now divided into shops and offices):

NS widecab in the former DL&W yard now used by NS:

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 5/9/2014 in Binghamton, NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

I also spent some time with the Owego & Harford Railway in the afternoon. Their SW1 was parked on a siding:

The O&H offices are in this beautifully restored depot- a rare example of a vintage station still being used by a freight RR.

I have been visiting this area since 1976. Finally... after 38 years of waiting... I saw an operating freight train. U-boat #2211 returns from a customer with a short string of gondolas. This location is the Route 96 crossing on the north side of town:

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 5/9/2014 in Owego, NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

Later that same afternoon, westbound NS manifest freight 12T pulled into the yard at Gang Mills:

NS is replacing some of the signals along the Southern Tier Mainline. In this case, these new signals are going up just east of the pedestrian bridge in Corning:

I ended the day catching NS local H06 pulling onto the Corning Secondary at Corning:

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 5/9/2014. I treated this day as a blank canvas- trying (mostly) different/new things to see what I could get. It paid off.

NSMoWandS

Nice! Need to cut down some telephone poles in that first pic! LOL! DE Dan

Matt L

Thanx, Dan! I was hoping the train would get moving, but it sat there for over an hour. I didn't want to overstay my welcome on the building, so I had to contend with the poles.

tq-07fan

Good Stuff! I guess that these are long gone. These were there at the DL&W station in December of 1995.

Jim

etalcos

Yep, long gone.  Sitting in Oak ridge, Tennessee now.

Matt L

Quote from: tq-07fan on May 26, 2014, 10:29:09 PM
Good Stuff! I guess that these are long gone. These were there at the DL&W station in December of 1995.

Jim

Thanks, Jim. There are no E or F units in Binghamton these days, unless an excursion or OCS visits the area.

blacksheep

Looks like it is boarded up at three places on the side. Could this be a E7? What ever it is, I wonder what the road number was when it was green and white.

etalcos

<sigh>  

This was Southern Railway 6913.  Delivered Green, then to Black, then to Green again, and always 6913 at Southern Railway.  It was the third to the last E-8 built by EMD with only 6914 and 6915 being newer.  While officially an E-8 it was actually much closer to an E-9, having been delivered with 567C engines vs. the usual 567BC or 567B for an E-8.  

Southern Appalachia Railway Museum in Oak Ridge, Tennessee is the current owner and with the generous support and assistance of Norfolk Southern, we were able to get it out of Binghamton several years back.  Fundraising has been under way for some time and much has already been done to stabilize the locomotive.  We have a new initiative under way on this locomotive and are anticipating an announcement in that regard sometime during the third quarter of this year.

blacksheep

Thanks for the info. I've heard for the last hundred years that the E7's are gone but I still dream.

etalcos

All of the Southern E-7s are in fact gone.  The E-7 model was EMD's best selling "E" unit model, but sadly the only remaining example of an E-7 is the Pennsy unit preserved in PRR land somewhere.  It's unfortunate that more were not preserved, but that's just the way things are sometimes.  I'd give my kingdom for one of the CofGa E-7s...

NSMoWandS

PRR 5901 at the RR Museum of PA. DE Dan

Matt L

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk