Georgetown to King's Mountain

Started by NSMoWandS, October 30, 2013, 11:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NSMoWandS

On Thursday 10/24/13, I was making my way to Atlanta, GA via the CNO&TP. Even though it was cloudy all day and a little rain here and there... I am sharing some of the better pics(well, to me) with you all. DE Dan

First up is an intermodal crusing through the new signals at Georgetown with the old Coca-cola sign fading on the building in the background.

NSMoWandS

Next, it was down to Wilmore to get the old searchlights before they are gone. C&S was out there working on the new signals... so it will not be too long...
A grain train comes around the curve and passes under the old searchlights.

NSMoWandS

Just an artsy-fartsy pic of the grain train with the searchlights.
Then on to High Bridge where I caught the same grain train.(Also, caught it at Kings Mtn)

NSMoWandS

Next, a manifest crosses the High Bridge.
A class trip was out on the Dixie Belle... a mini paddle boat!

NSMoWandS

And lastly, I stopped at Kings Mountain.
Here the same grain train struggles up the grade... even with four units!
A northbound was stopped in the hole waiting for the grain train to clear. It had a Dash 9 and a SD70ACe on it... can you guess which one was smoking it up?

NSMoWandS

The "smoker" clears the signals at Kings Mtn.
An Intermodal heads up hill with a BNSF unit while another waits in the hole.

NSMoWandS

And lastly, the northbound heads out and down the cut. Hope you enjoyed! DE Dan

NSyorktown

Nice pics!

In the photographs showing the Kings Mountain, anyone know what the yellow boxes are on the east side of the track?

They look like covers to relay (detection?) units; I'd assume to run to the new signal on the east side of the mainline.

Just curious . . . . RDS

E.M. Bell

Looks like you did pretty dang good Dan, considering the crap weather we had that day. You need to come back down sometime when you can spend a day or Two....let me know ahead of time and I will see if I can get TJ to order up a sunny day!

RDS, those yellow boxes are new, and have appeared there at Kings Mountain and a lot of other places. I would assume they have something to do with the code line (which is buried), and all of them have sprouted up in areas where the new signals have been installed. Between those and those dang solar powered rail greasers, its gotten hard to shoot in a few places.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

NSyorktown

Quote from: E.M. Bell on October 30, 2013, 04:16:08 PM
RDS, those yellow boxes are new, and have appeared there at Kings Mountain and a lot of other places. I would assume they have something to do with the code line (which is buried).

You can easily see the disturbed gravel leading up to them, so I figured some type of cable is buried along the right-of-way.

Right now, they don't look very permanent . . . . but they do ruin photographs, like those ugly greasers.

My worst fear is that I'll have to add some of those yellow boxes to my HO-scale Kings Mtn. scene, and then visitors will start asking me what they are, too!  :)

NSMoWandS

Thanks guys! All in all it wasn't a bad trip. EM, I will def give you a heads up if TJ can do a sun dance! LOL! As for the yellow things... they are access point for conduit, which were being worked on that day.
DE Dan

Matt L

Quote from: NSMoWandS on October 31, 2013, 07:11:23 AM
Thanks guys! All in all it wasn't a bad trip. EM, I will def give you a heads up if TJ can do a sun dance! LOL! As for the yellow things... they are access point for conduit, which were being worked on that day.
DE Dan

Nice shots! Thank you and the rest for explaining the yellow boxes because I've seen a couple of them up here in NY and had no idea what they are.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

thpbears

Nice we may just convert you over yet. ;) ;)

NSMoWandS

Quote from: thpbears on October 31, 2013, 10:18:18 PM
Nice we may just convert you over yet. ;) ;)

LOL! Thanks! And, I think you already have! DE Dan

thpbears

Of course you Know I am just kidding. I have a few CSX dummy engines in a box I am going to weather pretty heavy. Those engines look nice with a large amount of coal dust on them. Happy Birthday this November 10th in case I am away from the computer.

NSMoWandS

Bears, if you're talking about CSX's birthday... it's today Nov 1st(33 this year)... if you're talking about MY birthday... you're about 5 months early... or 7 months late! LOL! DE Dan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk