EMD's and a little fall color on the Second district. 10/14/06

Started by E.M. Bell, October 15, 2006, 01:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

After suffering through a seemingly endless parade of GE products the last few times I went out, it was time for some better luck. Caleb and myself spent Saturday 10/14/06 out on the Second district of the CNO&TP, and luck was with us. More EMD leaders than GE, great weather and plenty of trains! The Fall colors still have not peaked in the area, but they are starting to get nice,  Here are a few of the better shots from the day, including a couple of new locations. Clicking any of the thumbnails will get you a larger image if you so desire...

We departed in a Southward direction before sunup. A couple of Eastbounds on the Louisville district where going to meet a Westbound at Talmage, so we set up shop in Harrodsburg (ky) for the first shot of the day, just after the sun came up.

NS 26Z, with a short train of stacks for Toyota, winds through Hogtown in the sweet morning light. A white faced SD70 is the only power for this Deliplane rocket.

NS 223 followed the 26Z East, and we shot him for the first time at Danville during the crew change. One of the few white faced SD60's was leading, along with a EMDX SD40-2 leasor..

Shorlty after the 223 pulled into the West yard to block swap with 229, Southbound grain train 40J arrived with a SD70M-2 leading. Three trains, three good lead engines..this might be a good day!

Knowing that we had two good Southbounds ready to jump, plus more on the way, we headed South into the hills for a few shots. 223 got out of Danville ahead of the grain train, and we get him at Southfork (Ky)

About a half hour later, the 40J grain train come South and we shoot him at the same place. He had a good roll on em when the head end passed, but was down to a crawl shortly thereafter as the train started up Kings Mountain.

NS 40J again at Kings Mountain.

And one last shot of the 40J as they start down Norwood hill.

Following close behind the grain train was a rather early 111.  We set up to shoot him closer to the block at Norwood, a new location for us.  111 had a primered ES40DC leading here as he crossed over 2 to 1 track.

Knowing we would have a dead spell for a hour or so, we moved in closer to Somerset to check out a place I had wanted to shoot for a few years. After a short truck nap and a healthy snack (yea..you believe that), 229 is heard on the radio and we bag him at the block at Southern States, on the North side of Somerset.

Not to far behind the 229 is train 175.  Northbound 116 was crawling up the hill on 2 track, and I just got plain out lucky with some light on 175.  The rear of 116 met the head end of 175 right under the bridge I was on..

Southbound 133 was right behind 175, and we decided to try to get down to Woods for him. Thanks to the awesome traffic in Somerset...well, we didnt make it.  We managed to get on down to  Elihu seconds before 133 does, and this is about all I can do with him..  A modified 3/4 wedgie with the old Elhiu general store.

They seemed to fleet the Southbounds all day, and intermodal 215 was close behind 133.  With only a few minutes to spare, we get back into the CP at Grove (just North of Burnside) to shoot 215 at they swing around the sharp curve near the CP. Wish the colors had been somewhat better on that hillside..

After 215 got onto Double track at grove, the DS turned a pair of Northbounds loose. Our last train of the day would be 224 with a pair of BNSF motors. We got down low on the hillside and get him comeing across the Cumberland river bridge at Burnside. I went for a angle I had not tried before, with the bridge framed with the rocks..

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Junior

Remeber the sun always comes up best in Harrodsburg. 
Good work

Junior

nscnotp1

storrs19

Wow!!  I was at Southern Estates (McKee Road) in Somerset on Saturday October 14th for several hours filming trains.
I have the same 215 going by there.  I tried to get down to the old Dispatchers office but road construction thwarted me.
I also spent some time at Clifty Road and at WOODS too.  It was a great fall day for trains.

Chad

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk