Traincamp 2013

Started by dschlegel, May 14, 2013, 09:26:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dschlegel

Each May since 2002, the Schlegel boys (my dad, my brother, and I) travel to the west slope for a railfanning weekend. This year was an awesome weekend as the weather couldn't be beat and we were able to catch some awesome trains. By the numbers:
Miles on my car: 536.2
Beer Consumed: 1x5 liter keg of Spaten, 30x12oz cans of Old Mil Light, and 12x24oz cans of Genesee
Heritage units: 3
Train or engine moves: 186 (some were seen at multiple locations and counted at each location as a move)
Here's some photos.
First is a 64R on 5/3/2013 at Lewistown, PA (that's my brother at the end of the platform, looks like he's mining for gold doesn't it?)
Next is a private car, NYC3 on the back of the eastbound Pennsylvanian

dschlegel

Next we have the 1069 leading an 889 coal drag at Lewistown on 5/3/2013 (the time was 12:05 and the sun stank, I did the best I could)
Immediately before the 889 showed up I grabbed this shot of some railfans on the right of way, not a good place to be in my opinion. The shorter of the two guys on the platform (not trespassing) is my pop, the other is a Reading area railfan named Gary Upton. The guys in the distance on the ROW (trespassing)were just knuckleheads.

dschlegel

From Lewistown we headed to Altoona via Rt 22, which is THE way to go from eastern PA to the West Slope. After hot dogs in Altoona we headed for Cassandra, PA where the action was great.
Here's a shot of a coal drag climbing east.
Next is an empty coal drag rolling downhill past the previous loaded drag.

dschlegel

Next NS surprised us with sending a camp train downhill.
Here it is at Cassandra on 5/3/2013
Next we headed to the Station Inn where pop fell asleep for a few minutes.

dschlegel

Saturday morning we awoke to a beautiful day and had a great breakfast at the Station Inn. I took a walk to the Cresson engine facility and grabbed this shot of a couple sleeping SD80MAC's.
Next we drove to Lilly, PA in hopes of catching the NYC unit in the sweet morning sun, which didn't happen but we did see some cool stuff. Here's an awake pop at Lilly.

dschlegel

Next we decided to head to the horseshoe curve around 10AM as the sun was getting bad at Lilly and we hoped to maybe catch the NYC there, it didn't happen but we saw some cool trains again.
First shot is pop sleeping again in my car at Lilly.
Next shot is at the curve as two trains meet.

dschlegel

While at the curve we saw a train with what looked like brand new hoppers, but I believe were refurbished. Here's pop again enjoying the day. 

dschlegel

Right after that train went west, an eastbound manifest rolled downhill with an ex EL hopper.

dschlegel

The train with the new hoppers had the 6350 in its consist. It looked like it had seen better days.

dschlegel

With still no NYC unit in sight or earshot (thanks DE Dan for the info!) our hunger got the best of us and we headed for the McD's in Altoona, then to the parking lot near the pedestrian bridges from the museum to the train station. Here two SD80MAC's lead a C51 coal drag east into Altoona. The markers were brought up by an additional 5 SD80MAC's. That's 7 of them on one train!

dschlegel

Finally, the 64R showed up lead by the NYC heritage unit at about 16:00 or so on 5/4/2013. Both shots were taken from the road bridge near the Juniata shops. Note, we got hosed by the sun again.

dschlegel

Sunday morning May 5 was another beautiful morning, and while eating breakfast at the Station Inn another 64R rolled uphill with the OC unit trailing. All three of us had seen this one multiple times before so we didn't get too upset, rather we drove to Tyrone after checking out and caught is sweeping through the curves.

dschlegel

From Tyrone we had to go back to the Station Inn in Cresson because pop left a jacket and a camera lens there. Believe it or not this would've been his third lost jacket on a traincamp weekend! Anyway we hightailed it to Lewistown to catch a 14G there dropping off a rider.

dschlegel

From Lewistown we headed towards Harrisburg and pulled into the lot at Cove right as the 64R with the PC unit was pulling down the controlled siding. Here's a couple of shots as it rolled by.

dschlegel

The last picture I'll post is the same 14G from Lewistown rolling past Cove. I hope you've enjoyed!

Dan

NSMoWandS

Great Shot! Glad you, your brother and pops had a good time. But, If I ever go railfanning with you... and pics of me sleeping show up on this site... you're gonna pay! LOL! DE Dan

Badhorse79

Lol picking in poor ol pops ! Great collection there ! Looked like fun times

dschlegel

Quote from: NSMoWandS on May 14, 2013, 10:56:54 AM
Great Shot! Glad you, your brother and pops had a good time. But, If I ever go railfanning with you... and pics of me sleeping show up on this site... you're gonna pay! LOL! DE Dan

I think he lives to be picked on! I'm sure he'll pay me back someday anyway.

thpbears

A wonderful weekend I see train watching with family is priceless nice pics you got

Matt L

Quote from: dschlegel on May 14, 2013, 09:55:20 AM
Right after that train went west, an eastbound manifest rolled downhill with an ex EL hopper.

Nice catch! Former EL hoppers seem to be popping up across the NS system... which is good news IMO. 
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk