June 12, 2012 trip report

Started by dschlegel, June 12, 2012, 08:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dschlegel

Took today off for my birthday to railfan solo. The weather here in PA was soggy, but NS made up for it in traffic. In addition to the following, NS ran about 7 trains in the hour it took me to get the family off to work this morning. Thanks for looking!

S62 Enola with CR 8098 @9am
21v Duncannon 10:10
8303 (591??) Duncannon 10:30
20k Duncannon 10:40
21E at cove 11:25
21J 11:45 Cove
WB coal at Cove 12:30
AMTRAK 04T at Cove 12:35
21R at Cove 1:00
21M at Cove 1:10
912 (welded rail train) at Cove 1:15
18N? (autorack) at Cove 1:40
9189 (eb manifest) Cove 1:55
23M at Cove 1:55
930 (ballast) at Cove 2:15
20W at Cove 2:15
?8g wb at Cove 2:25
11J at Cove 2:55
Amtrak 05T at Cove 3:00

Here's a shot showing how buried the 8098 was at Enola on the S62:

NSMoWandS

Happy B-Day! And, glad you had a nice and busy time.

Matt L

Happy Birthday! Like you, I often take my b'day (or a day close to it) to chase. It looks like you had alot of fun. 
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Badhorse79

Happy B-Day good catches . You should see if the numbers of locos or any loco numbers matched you B'day numbers

chipallen16

Happy birthday! The quantity of trains there amazes me...

-Chip  :)

dschlegel

Thank you all for the birthday wishes! It really was a great day even with the rain. Normally my railfanning is done while walking my dog at night or driving to/from daycare with my daughter so today was definitely a treat. If my 2.5 year old can leave me to concentrate long enough I'll post some photos of the action soon.

NSMoWandS

Def would like to see that GP40 leading the 6 axle GE... when your little allows! :)

dschlegel

Let's try this again.....

Here's the NS930 Ballast train at Cove during a major downpour with the NS3061 leading.

dschlegel

Here's the EB Amtrak 04T at Cove on the Pittsburg Line, I like how the water spray off the train shows speed.

dschlegel

Here's the NS912 welded rail train with a one unit wonder for power, again in the rain.

dschlegel

Bringing up the marker on the NS912 was this ancient looking Southern gondola with a forrest growing out of it. I guess this might be NS's attempt at a Carbon Neutral train (CO2 exhausted from the low-emmission locomotive leading the train is converted into O2 by the forrest being dragged on the rear end)??

Sorry, that was my attempt at humor for the day.

dschlegel

Nearing the end of my time in the Harrisburg area the rain started to let up a bit as 11J rolled through Cove.

dschlegel

About 10 seconds after 11J's rear end passed me Amtrak showed up with the WB 05T.

dschlegel

This is the last photo I'll post from the day. It is the 05T about to begin its overtaking of the 11J at Cove.

I hope you all enjoyed the shots, they were all taken while sitting in my driver's seat as the skies let loose on central PA.

Thanks for looking!

Dan Schlegel Topton, PA (1 block North of the old Reading Station at MP18.5 on the NS Reading Line).

NSMoWandS

Looks like you had a great day!  Thanks for sharing!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk