Shuffling off to Buffalo on a frigid day

Started by Matt L, March 30, 2011, 07:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

I was gettin' the itch for more NS action, so I scheduled a vacation day and drive out to Buffalo. Sure, it was a bright and sunny day... but it was freakin' COLD for march! It was 15 degrees at 9 AM when I walked up the Tifft Street bridge to view the action at Buffalo Creek Junction.

Here's a little RR archaeology for y'all- CSX calls this track Lehigh 17. It is one of the few remaining pieces of a once sprawling Lehigh Valley yard. LV used to swap the Apollo/Mercury hotshot freights with NKP and N&W here. There's not much left now.

Photo taken by me Friday 3/25/2011 in Buffalo, NY. 
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

The Buffalo & Pittsburgh was shuffling cars at the other end of the bridge. At times, the B&P EMDs on the local would pass under the bridge with a cut of cars... going a short distance up the old B&O 4th Sub between a couple of ponds.

Photo taken by me Friday 3/25/32011 in Buffalo, NY.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

The B&P services a Ford truck plant in nearby Hamburg, so auto racks like this one are a common sight on the local.

Photo taken by me Friday 3/25/32011 in Buffalo, NY.

Matt L

For old school N&W fans, B&P #887 is a former N&W unit who got her nose chopped circa 2004. Number 1002 is an old Reading 1002- her blue paint came from her tenure with Conrail.

Photo taken by me Friday 3/25/2011 in Buffalo, NY.

Matt L

Shifting over to Harlem Road, I found a pair of NS widecabs assembling a train at Bison Yard.

Photo taken by me Friday 3/25/32011 in Cheektowaga, NY.

Matt L

A better look at the NS widecabs in Bison Yard.

Matt L

The foiremr Lehigh Valley ROW is a trail next to Bison Yard. This vieiw is looking west.

Matt L

The trail also makes a useful (and 100% legal) location to photograph switch moves at Bison Yard.

Photo taken by me Friday 3/25/2011 in Cheektowaga, NY.

Matt L

Shifting my location to the other side of Buffalo Creek Junction, I was ready for the mixed freight after it was fully assembled and headed out westbound on the former NKP mainline.

Photo taken by me Friday 3/25/2011 in Blasdell, NY.  

Matt L

NS 9795 is crossing Lake Avenue.

Photo taken by me Friday 3/25/2011 in Cheektowaga, NY.

Matt L

The mixed freight is crossing the diamond where NS meets the Buffalo Southern.

Matt L

About an hour later, an NS local approached Lake Avenue.

Matt L

The GP40-2 running long hood forward was classic N&W-style.

Photo taken by me Friday 3/25/32011 in Blasdell, NY.

Matt L

With the boxcars in the mix, I figure the local was probably headed out to service a couple customers on the old NKP in Hamburg.

Matt L

Moving a final time to Rogers Road, I finally caught NS there after several tries.

Photo taken by me Friday 3/25/2011 in Hamburg, NY. CSX tracks are just out of sight to the right in this location.

Matt L

I've seen this eastbound NS intermodal train at other locations before- it usually arrives in late afternoon.

Photo taken by me Friday 3/25/2011 at Rogers Road in Hamburg, NY.

Matt L

The eastbound NS intermodal train is crossing Rogers Road.

Photo taken by me Friday 3/25/2011 in Hamburg, NY.

For additional shots of CSX and B&P action that day, please visit: http://s857.photobucket.com/albums/ab139/Erielackawanna/March%202011/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

I hope you have enjoyed my recent tour of the Buffalo area. Despite the cold, I sure did.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk