an old N&W warrior I bumped into

Started by Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR, November 01, 2009, 01:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR

today while goofing off in corydon Indiana , I bumped into an old nw alco warrior.  its kinda in a hard spot to get a good shot of, and not being a cameraman anyway I did the best I could.  this is the former 367 an alco rs-11 built in 58 for the N&W.  that one picture is of my daughter, she said she just wanted to touch an alco!  Lord help her!
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

I have admittedly been around alco's very little, just got to noticing all those raised square panels on the long hood end, I assume thats for cooling purposes, but did they have dynamic? we have never had anything but EMD'S at the pal since I have been here, and like I said earlier I dont know squat bout alco's, I just thought if that is some form of dynamic set up, what an odd one.  I have a feeling its not though.
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

NSDash9

Yes, the N&W RS-11's were equipped with dynamic braking.  The first two (closest to the cab) of the five smaller air filter boxes on each side of the long hood provide air to cool the dynamic grids.  If you could see the top of the locomotive, you'd see the dynamic hatch and exhaust that is located above the engine compartment.

Chris
Chris R. Toth

huh! what an odd set up, well at least compared to emd's.  that is a very unique looking engine up close, but then again I dont run into many alco's. 

Matt L

A little over a month after Kanawha ran into a former N&W RS11, I encountered one of her sisters in upstate NY:

Photo taken by me Saturday 12/5/2009 in Holley, NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

Number 1802 is in one of larger Alco fleets in the country, as she is owned by Genesee Valley Transportion. She is assigned to the Falls Road, which is one of several shortlines owned and operated by GVT. The RS11 also pulls excursions (along with a very rare Alco RS32) for the Medina RR Museum on weekends:

Photo taken by me 12/5/2009 in Holley, NY. Both of my pics are part of a pictorial of several excursions that day, which can be viewed at:

http://s857.photobucket.com/albums/ab139/Erielackawanna/FRRRDec2009/

For the record, #1802 was built as NKP #863 in 2/59.   
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

Oh yeah, I ran into another former N&W RS11 last year. Built as #361 for the N&W in 1957, she is now #36 on the Ontario Midland RR in upstate NY. 

Photo taken by me Monday 7/6/2009 in Sodus, NY. It isn't a great shot... so I'll try to get back to OMID this year. In addition to #36, OMID also rosters an ex-N&W RS36, #408! 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk