Norfolk Southern has started hiring conductors again....

Started by NS9356, February 04, 2010, 09:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NS9356

Just got word that NS is hiring conductors at about 20 locations including Asheville, NC. A fellow conductor said that Knoxville and Andover, VA will start hiring again soon... Each location posted on NSCORP.COM is hiring at least 15-25 people... Management said business is really great in the south... Just check out NS's website for current job openings for more information...

nsslackmaster

I can assure you that Knoxville nor Andover will not be hiring ANY time soon. Knoxville still has 60+ conductors laid off and I think Andover has well over 15 laid off. All of Knoxville's people have been off for well over a year right now, and its going to get worse before it gets better. Knoxville has lost 58 jobs over the past 2 years due to RCO, the economy, and the idling of Sevier yard. We are also fixing to lose our premier stack train in late April/early May once enough of the tunnels for the Heartland Corridor are fixed. Not trying to scare you off from applying here, I'm just letting you know what the real picture is. Your best bet to hire in would be at a terminal that is going to be on the primary route of the new Crescent Corridor. Places like Birmingham, Atlanta, Greeneville are all booming and need people right now.

Backyard

8) ..."Just got word" is bull.

Where did you get your info?
Backyard/Allen

Conrail Tweety

The website has conductor listings for 19 locations including Andover, but none in IA, KY, LA, MI, MO, NJ, NY, OH, TN, or WV.

Dennis
"I 'tawt I 'taw a Tessie tat!"

IRN750

Just been told NS will have a hiring session at Harrisburg, PA on 3/16 for 33 Cond. slots
At Allentown on 3/17 for 6 Cond. slots
At Balt. Md on 3/23 for 5 Cond. slots

nsslackmaster

Dennis, you might want to go back and check your computer, because NS is definitely not hiring any conductors in Andover. The only place in VA that NS is accepting application for train service is in Norfolk. My buddy is the youngest furloughed man in Andover, and he has 17 people ahead of him to get back before he is recalled. Now they will be hiring in the Andover/Carbo area a lot sooner than they will be hiring in Knoxville, but that is not going to be anytime soon. At the very minimum it will be another year before there is any type of hiring for train service in this region.

Conrail Tweety

"I 'tawt I 'taw a Tessie tat!"

nsslackmaster

Transportation operations is a fancy name for management trainess. :)

lwjabo

My nephew who works out of Macon says business is way up. Think he works what is caled the SW dist. My self I worked the old North end which included the old Griffin to Columbus. Known as the M line. I've enjoyed every day of retirment. The only down part is I'm old.  Keep on Trucking by Train.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk