Peavine (N&W Portsmouth to Cinncy) Abandonment has started

Started by E.M. Bell, December 06, 2014, 08:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

It looks like NS has started the proceedings to abandon the East end of the old N&W "Peavine" out of Portsmouth, Ohio. This article states they have filed for "Discontinuances of Service to discontinue service over approximately 31.5 miles of rail line extending from milepost CT 73.50 at Plum Run to milepost 105.00 at Vera (West Portsmouth), in Adams and Scioto Counties, Ohio."

This is the first step to Abandonment.  Of Course, the other end is currently being operated by the CCET, and may have a future still.  

Full text of the article at this link..

http://portsmouth-dailytimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?avis=OS&date=20141205&category=news&lopenr=312059981&Ref=AR
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

steveiez

Steve

florida581

Just my guess: After NS inherited the Dayton District (Columbus - Cincinnati) from Conrail, the Peavine became excess trackage.  Though more direct, I'm sure the Peavine was more difficult to traverse and maintain than the Dayton District.  Also after the Conrail acquisition, I'm sure traffic patterns changed.  More trains were routed via Columbus and Bellevue than via Cincinnati.  Plus there was very little or no online business on the Peavine outside the Cincinnati area.
Andrew

rhotond

Peavine has some structural limitations.  A long timber trestle NE of portmouth (where it leaves the columbus line is structurally deficient.  Also it would require doubling a couple of hills and the sidings are not long enough.  Also it givves a bad entrance to Cincinnati nowwith the bengals stadium breaking the line (combined NS and PRR).  Also the other exit into cincinnati (bond hill route is broken). 

The route is much shorter than the portsmouth to columbus to cincinnati route (about 3.5 hours total) but is a rough piece of railroad.  My experience with it is with 100 car (50 to 70 ton) coal trains pulled by Y6's and A's Rode them many times in the early 50's .   

Also trafffic patterns have changed with most of the former traffic going north which is now via columbus and belevue

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk