Diverging clear aspects on multi-headed signals

Started by D300, September 06, 2012, 02:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D300

NS a while back put up some new signals at a location were a secondary main line joins the double track mainline on former SR territory on the Piedmont Div. Each track has 3 headed signals governing movements over crossovers, and yard leads, etc.

So here is my question, is there any consistent difference between getting a diverging clear signal on head #2 vs. getting the same signal on lower head #3?

Looking at NS rules, a red over green means the exact same thing as a red over red over green. In the example I am citing the secondary main ends and joins the near main and has several crossovers on the double track main. (FYI: the top head is a single red light with no other bulbs, indicating all moves are diverging at this location when coming off the secondary main.) Also NS doesn't use Slow Clear in this territory so getting a green on the bottom head is not a slower speed clear than the next above head.

So my question has any one noticed (I did not spend enough time at this location to form a theory yet.) if a green on head number two would constantly be for joining the main but going straight rail over the crossovers? And a green on head 3 might mean joining the main and crossing over to the far track?

It will be several months before I return to this location for verification. Looking for insights from any crews.

D300

nsrlink

What's the specific location in question please?

D300

Elm interlocking, Greensboro, NC. Tracks coming off line from Raleigh.

ARandall70

Your analysis of the interlocking at Elm appears to be correct. Trains coming of H Main 1 to Track 1 should receive a Diverging Clear R-G-R. Trains moving from H Main 1 to Track 2 should receive a Diverging Clear R-R-G. Trains from H Main 1 can go straight into Pomona yard on a a restricting without negotiating any turnouts.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=393271&nseq=8

Here is the interlocking and the signal bridge in question. H-main 1 is on the left of the frame. H-main 2 enters track 1 just out of frame to the right, and there is a second set of soutbound Elm signals that govern that turnout. Because of this second set of southbound signals, trains moving from H-main 2 to Track 2 would pass two separate Diverging Clear R-G-R signals.
Anthony Randall
Fuquay-Varina, NC
www.youtube.com/user/ARandall70

D300

On the day of my visit, the southbound NCDOT train had a R-R-G. He entered the main and crossed all the way over to the western most track. I was pretty sure that is #2 but its been a while since I lived in the area and I hesitated on numbering the tracks.

I was not around to see any other moves come off the H-line to get a comparison. I did not mention the lead to Pomona as I knew that would get a R-R-Y for restricting. But that was not what I was asking about.

So a history trivia item: when going the opposite direction at this same interlocking before the signals were changed, the northbound signal mast had 4 really rare searchlight signals. These were the only location on the SR main I ever saw them used. The CNO&TP had them but, not the SR. When trains were going north to the THEN dark territory H-line to Raleigh they got a Red over Green (Div. clear) I have photos of this as evidence. I thought the best you could get was restricting into un-signaled territory?

I did not get enough photos of this signal bridge!

Ptrainman

No, you can get a clear or diverging clear going into dark territory.

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

ARandall70

Yes, the westernmost track is Track 2. Just wanted to be clear all movements are not diverging coming off of H-main 1.

NS does allow clear signals into dark territory. The signal only governs movement through the interlocking, but a train will not get a signal until it has the required written authority. There will be a sign that says BEGIN 171, that used to(we still have a few here) say BEGIN TWC.

Pine Level, NC(H111.6) is an example of this, and an example of the NS practice of route-signaling. Pine Level is currently the end of 261 territory on the H-line, and the beginning of 171 territory that extends to the coast. Trains on the main track going to the single main must negotiate a turnout, but receive a clear signal. Trains going from the siding to the single main go through the straight side of the turnout, but receive a diverging clear signal. If you think about it, it makes sense, as trains are moving main-to-main and siding-to-main; but if you are one who prefers, or better understands, CSX style speed signaling, you may do a double take.
Anthony Randall
Fuquay-Varina, NC
www.youtube.com/user/ARandall70

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk