Why and where is this?

Started by beal99, January 05, 2011, 10:34:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beal99

I think south of Kings Mountain, shot by my dad Richard Beal in 1988, any help greatly appreciated.

Almost looks like a local.

Ns Railfan

Looks like its the CP at Norwood just north of Somerset KY. But not a 100% sure.

beal99

any idea what a GT geep is doing running a local? Is it even a local, did they have one out of Somerset?

E.M. Bell

Looking at that pic, I have to concur that this is Norwood, Ky on the CNO&TP, and the train is Northbound.

Back then, it was not uncommon to see GTW power (train 151 the "sparkplug" almost always had a GT unit or Two) I doubt that is a local, as there would be no need for local service North of Norwood, there are no customers!

My opinion, looking at the consist, that this a weed sprayer train. The boxcar behind the motor is a spacer, the tank cars are water and weed killer, and if you look at the boxcar on the rear (with the waffle ends), that is one of Southerns home built spray cars.  Id say the engine was handy, and got snagged for work train service, not all that uncommon

I have a pic of one of those spray units in Danville taken a few years ago, I will have to find it to compare.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

beal99

Ah, that makes much more sense. Thanks guys! I'm scanning a bunch of late 80s rathole stuff, I may have a log of locations, if not, expect more questions to the experts :)

E.M. Bell

Feel free to post anything you have here, questions or not! There are a rather large number of folks here who are fond of the CNO&TP! 

Look forward to seeing more..scan away....
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

ssmith1627

I agree completely on that -- I'd love to see more of the CNO&TP from the 80's or any period really.   Looking forward to seeing your posts !

Steve

srman

Here is the same unit being used as a helper pushing a southbound up Erlanger Hill on March 23,1988. A little history on the unit. The GP38-2 was built in 1977 for the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie as their 2053 before working for the Grand Trunk.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk