Short Outing On The Blue Ridge District - 12/20/10

Started by VirginiaSouthern, December 21, 2010, 02:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VirginiaSouthern

While up in Virginia visiting my parents leading up to Christmas, I decided to make a quick trip out to check out the action on Norfolk Southern's nearby Blue Ridge District.  I grew up by this district and spent many a day during my teen years watching the many trains that passed over it.

My first stop was
Abilene, VA. Much to my disappointment, the former Norfolk & Western signals were no longer there.  Apparently during the year I was in the desert they were replaced with modern signals.  I knew it was only a matter of time, but I was still sad to see them go none the less.  Here is a shot of how this spot used to look.

How Abilene Junction looks now.

NS 820, led by former Conrail Dash-8 #8465 splits the signals at Abilene heading east towards the yard at Crewe and ultimately the coal docks at Norfolk.

820 catches some shade as it heads through
Green Bay, VA.

Shortly after following 820 to
Burkeville, I caught NS V08 (Crewe-Richmond local) coming off the Richmond Air Line led by former Conrail SD40-2 #3423.

A more "roster" type shot of 3423.

V08's caboose as the train backs up towards the yard at Crewe.  The conductor was operating a very neat sounding whistle as the train would approach the grade crossings.

Thanks for looking!
Tommy Warshaw
Click here to see my photos on Flickr

E.M. Bell

good to see some NS stuff from you!  That has to be the saddest looking caboose I have ever seen...poor thing needs to be put down..
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

VirginiaSouthern

Thanks E.M.  Not my best stuff technical wise since I managed to get a cold as an early Christmast present.
Tommy Warshaw
Click here to see my photos on Flickr

ssmith1627

An caboose actually being put to work.  I would take it, ugly or not.   That's a great catch.

Steve

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk