I saw an unusual train last night...

Started by Bellevue Kid, March 17, 2008, 08:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bellevue Kid

there was one engine (9547) followed by a gondola, and then about 10 new looking yellow and red engines that had lettering in a font that was hard to read. I think all of those engines had numbers in the 800's. After the engines there were about 15 or so flat cars and that was it.

This train came out of Bellevue, OH some time between 11pm and 1am last night and went south on the track toward Columbus.

anyone have any idea what it was?

NSDash9

Those were new GE Dash 9-44CW locomotives headed for export to the Estrada de Ferro Caraj?s railroad in Brazil.

Chris
Chris R. Toth

Bellevue Kid

thanks.

so it was E. F. Caraj?s that it said on the side. It was hard to read because of the font, it was night, and they were going by at least 40 mph.

All I could make out was the letter E, another letter that was weird looking, and a word beginning with C.

Rockin Roller

Is it possible to go all the way to Brazil by rail?

NSDash9

No.  The units are being routed for delivery to an eastern US port to be loaded on a ship for the trip to Brazil.

Chris
Chris R. Toth

Bob Harpe

Chris,
Do you have any idea as to which port these units are headed for??

Bob

NSDash9

Bob:

Not for sure, but I am guessing Norfolk since the units were routed east via the Pokey.

Chris
Chris R. Toth

Bob Harpe

Chris,
I was thinking, and hoping, that the units might be going to ship from Savannah. I've seen several NS and CSX units stored here for  future shipment to South America.

Bob

Bellevue Kid

while we're on the subject of unusual trains...

today I saw a short train sitting at the signal south of Flat Rock (about 2-3 miles south of Bellevue) that was made up of what looked like a bunch of weird looking yellowish engines with a tank car or two. I was pretty far away, but it looked like the side of each engine and car had the word "lunam" or something like that painted on it. After a bit it started moving, north, toward Bellevue. Any idea what that was?

Also, on April 26 I saw a train pulled by an NS engine come into town from the Columbus track and go east on the W&LE track. That was the first time I've ever seen an NS train go down the W&LE tracks

E.M. Bell

You probably saw the LORAM rail grinder..you pretty well described it. 

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Bellevue Kid

yep, that was it. Thanks.

also, on the subject of NS trains on the Wheeling, I just saw another NS train coming into Bellevue from Norwalk on the W&LE tracks and heading in the direction of Fostoria. Normally W&LE trains come in that way, and then back up on the Wye so that that can come back into town and use the Mad River Connestion to get onto the track to Toledo, but I'm not sure what this one is doing.

Does the W&LE simply have a few NS engines now, like they have had with the UP, or are those actually NS trains using the W&LE tracks? I do know that that W&LE line goes to Mingo Junction

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk