Suckerhole Saturday on the 2nd district

Started by E.M. Bell, November 25, 2007, 04:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

With nothing else better to do on a Saturday, I headed down South to see what was shaking on the ever reliable CNO&TP.  (As usual) the decision to get out was solely based on the weatherman's prediction of  "partly sunny" conditions, and (as usual) that was not to be the case. By the time I got to Danville the clouds where getting thick, and so where the curse words in my truck.    I wont complain to much though, as The further South I got, the clouds thinned out some, and for some reason, almost everytime I stopped to shoot a train, I got a sucker hole at the right place and time...must be living right or something!!  It was never "partly sunny" but there seemed to be light where I needed it, and thats all that counts now aint it???

When I arrived at Danville (KY) there was a 50R grain train getting fuel and a new crew. I went on down to Bowen ahead of him and got a couple of shots. The frost had not even had time to burn off, and it was a balmy 22 degree's 

Southbound Grain, 50R at Bowen KY.

Seeing as how the 50R had a good EMD leader, I took advantage of his brief stop at Geneva to get back into Southfork  to set up for another shot, one that would be one of my favorites from the day.

I got back ahead of him at Kings Mountain, but let him go as the light was still low and the shadows intense. There was a 264 around Norwood so I eased on down to the Jacobs Loop road crossing North of Waynesburg to watch him go by. No sucker hole here, but seeing as how it is dang near impossible on that RR to shoot a Northbound with good light, I got out the big glass and played with 264 a bit. Here are Two 640mm backlit shots that show the roller coaster profile through this area. In the first shot, 264 is in Downtown Waynesburg, almost a mile away..

I used a lull in the trains to get on Down South of  Somerset, as the clouds didnt seem to be as bad the further South I went. I would be wrong, but luck would still be with me. Next up was a 167, which I got at Antioch Cut just South of Burnside.

A little further South and we see 175 at Keno KY

One of the trains I had been waiting for was 285, which was reported to have a BNSF Tri-window SD60M in old paint.  Thanks to a broken rail somewhere on the Louisville side during the night, 285 had been delayed and was running rather late. I chased him South a good ways...here are the results of that...

285 at Parkers Lake KY

A nice telesmash at Flat Rock.

285 rolling under the soon to be replaced signal bridge at Pine Knot KY

And passing the new signals that will soon be in service at Pine Knot.

And 285 one last time, seen here at Pemberton TN, climbing up out of Onidea.

Moving back North, I heard a 229 on the radio, and just barely beeat him to Bear Creek (TN)

223 must have been late getting into Danville, as 229 seems to have left there without his usual huge cut of cars that come off 223...  A short and sweet 229 swings under the US 27 bridge at Bear Creek...

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

J-man

Very good shots Emmett!  I can't say I've ever seen anyone take a shot a Flat Rock and Pine Know, but they're good ones.   Oh, and that tri-window 60M is way cool.
God Bless America!
NS Conductor, CNO&TP
A few pictures

TRNBUF

Great Shots!!!  I have to agree, seeing that ex-BN on the lead is kind of cool to see.  Still in good shape yet, too.  Where did they find him, in a shed hiding somewhere?   :D

Again, Great shots and thanks for sharing!!!

~Mike

scooter3798

Nice stuff Emmett! That BN 60M was definetly worth the chase as well. I don't know why but that is one of my favorite BN schemes.

Scooter

Michael Knight

Those are truly some extraordinary pictures Emmett! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk