Photos from Centralia, IL - 03/04/07

Started by TRNBUF, March 04, 2007, 08:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRNBUF

I got out for a couple of hours today since the weather was nice and
the sun was shining bright. It wasn't quite as busy at Centralia, IL
as it normally is but I was able to catch 3 NS's, 1 IC, and 3 BNSF
coal trains waiting in the yard. Here is what I came up with.

Westbound NS #168, with a wide load (earthmovers), approaches Shattuc road. ~ NS Illinois Division

Eastbound NS #111 heads for town with plenty of power. ~ NS Illinois Division

NS local #D76 calls it a day. ~ NS Illinois Division

Southbound IC #1017 passes NS #111 downtown. ~ CN Centralia Sub.

Same Southbound IC #1017 with IC 1034, CN 4028(odd looking), and a BNSF.

Here are 3 photos of some BNSF coal trains parked in their yard waiting for crews.

Have a great week everyone,
~Mike

E.M. Bell

That 7037 seems to catch the T19 duty down this way several times a year...and that CN/IC, NS shot..outstanding!  Was that at the Amtrak platform? 

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

TRNBUF

Thanks E. M. Bell...

The Amtrak platform was just directly East(to your right) of the IC.  I wasn't expecting the NS #111 to come that quick through the yards.  I was only getting ready for  the IC but it turned out pretty good after all.  I'll take it!!!! ;D

Thanks again,
~Mike

nscnotp1

Awesome  shot of the NS/IC combo at Centralia, IL.

In that one pic with the BNSF 5786, what is the letter "D" in the circle stand for?

TRNBUF

That means there is a derail on the track.

NSyorktown

OK, I admit my ignorance.  The sign with the letter "D"  in the circle . . . . what does the DERAIL mean?  Is that a section of track to re-rail a wheel-set?  Just wondering.

And, super clear pic's (thanks for sharing!).

RDS

nscnotp1

It is a safety device that is used whenever a railcar that is not "tied" down and that could possibly runaway, will hit this and derail the wheel axle grounding the car from going any further.

Hope this helps.

NSyorktown

So, is this a "derailer"?  Note: Click on image for full view.

I took this photo a few summer's ago, wondering what it was.

triplecrownservice

Yes, that would be a derailer. They are designed to derail the car at that point and prevent it from entering a main track. It would be much easier to rerail the car than to clean up a possible wreck from it running away or getting hit by another train.

TC

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk