A couple of good ones---BNSF-9724----NS-5184

Started by Bill Richardson, November 13, 2014, 11:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Richardson

Tuesday I went through Oneida and saw what was probably an SD90-43 MAC, but didn't get any photos.  On the way back, we stopped at Burnside and found a train parked there, facing north.  The second engine was BNSF-9724, with the "executive" paint scheme, which I rarely see.  Right after we pulled in there, and were still rolling, I heard the engines rev up.  I urged my friend to stop and "lemme out".  He did, and I grabbed one photo before the engines got started.  Then they slowly moved.  I waited and got the one shot I wanted, and then another one as it was angled away from me, at the crossing.  Soon after, I thought of the bridge, and we tried to get to the bridge before the engines got across.  The BNSF was already going off and the front was hidden.  I grabbed one anyway, but it isn't worth showing.

BNSF-9724 at Burnside  (cropped and reduced image, to 800pixels)

Today my wife and I had to go back to Danville.  After a while, I went to the yard, near the old station, and found another old engine parked over on the left, in front of a line of "rack cars".  It was idling, with somebody in it.  Last week, a group of seven engines came in, and one was set off.  There were some old ones in that group, but the one I saw today is not one of them.  It is NS-5184, a GP38-2 "high hood".  It was being used for a yard switcher I suppose, in addition to one or more SD40-2s.  There were two there last week, and I saw one of the same ones today.  I made several photos of 5184.  There was nothing going on right then, so I left soon.

NS-5184 at Danville yard.

leroy

Bill... Thanks for takin the time to take a picture of ole NS5184... They are pretty rare... I fear it wont be long before they are gone over the sunset hill... We see them down here at Clinton from time to time in local service...

Keep up the good work...

leroy
leroy

Matt L

Yes, nice catch on the high nose GP38-2. NS used to keep 4 of them in upstate NY, but 3 have gone south to allegedly be rebuilt. I agree with the assessment that that anything with a high nose on NS will soon be gone (or altered). 
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk