NS-3525---SD40-2 Operation Lifesaver, and old caboose

Started by Bill Richardson, August 24, 2014, 08:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Richardson

Saturday my wife and I didn't plan to go to Danville, but we happened to go there anyway, after going to Liberty first.  We went for a reason other than trains, but in Danville, I drove to the train yard to see if there was anything interesting to see and photograph.  I didn't plan on waiting for incoming trains; just wanted to see what was available at the time.  As soon as I got there, I found two SD40-2 engines, one of them having the "Operation Lifesaver" logo.  I had not seen that one before.  Also, there was a faded red caboose hooked to the second engine.  The engines were in use, doing some shuttling.  I made several photos, and then left.  I don't know if this particular OL engine is very unusual or not, but I'll post some photos here.

There are a lot of poles and wires at the Danville yard, and it is about impossible to make photos without getting some poles and wires in the picture.  I did a little cleaning on two of these photos, the 2nd and 3rd, to remove those things.

NS-3525    NS-3483    Caboose  NS-555077

NS-3525    "Operation Lifesaver"

Caboose  NS-555077

Gage O'Dell

They have an old Southern caboose back around the shop area in pretty decent shape, at least the other side is. The other side, you can see SOUTHERN a lot clearer. They used to use it while switching the factories along the Danville Bypass before switching to the ex-NW one you got.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk