East End Cluster Sunday Morning August 10, 2014

Started by NSSpike, August 10, 2014, 01:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NSSpike

After a storm with heavy rain rolled through here Saturday evening dispatchers were heard talking trains by signals into the evening. Sunday morning wasn't kind weather wise as the skies were overcast but at least no rain. For starters Sunday morning the east end dispatcher asked NS 154-09 (BIRMINGHAM, AL - LINWOOD, NC) if he could take the signal back at Winston as the train rolled past the block. "I knew that would happen. I didn't override the Auto-Router.  Ok go on to Douglasville and do your work." By 7:50am NS 154-09 set out 4 cars and proceeded east. Well from here things started getting real interesting. There were two options for 154-09. Continue eastward on the main line to Austell or go into the siding at Ben Hill behind NS 154-08. East end Dispatcher to 154-09. "Can you stop your train and hold off the signal at Ben Hill and let me talk to Atlanta. The crew for the other 154-08 hasn't left the motel yet." By now NS 225 (ATLANTA, GA - LOS ANGELES, CA (UP ZAILC) is out of Inman and strangely set out a cut of cars at Nickajack and proceeded to Austell on the #1 main. "East End Dispatcher to 154-09, go ahead into the siding at Ben Hill behind the other 154 as Atlanta says they don't have any room for you" Well there wasn't any room in the siding at Ben Hill either as the rear 10-12 cars were still out on the main line with two road crossings blocked.  Now what?  By now it is 8:40 am and Amtrak 19 has left the Atlanta station. Now what?  Eventually the crew for 154-08 showed up and provided assistance to 154-09 in backing up (west) out of the siding clearing the signal at the west end of the siding at Ben Hill. Shortly they proceeded east to Austell. As you would expect things are getting really backed up in both directions and it was obvious that Atlanta Inman had little choice but to take one of the two 154's in the Lithia Springs/Ben Hill block. By now other trains in the mix are west bounders 225, AMTK 19, 23E, East bounders 154-08, 154-09, A26, 290 & 24E. Only took one photo for the fact that it included two east bound 154 trains. Not a good photo day!!!  Not sure I have ever took a photo with two trains in the same shot with same ID's. I am sure for some of the more avid rail fans this isn't that unusual an occurrence.
154-09 UP5082, Patched UP6372 (Still in SP Paint) UP4787, NS7678 & NS6759.
154-08 BNSF7625, NS9698 & NS8757 at Lithia Springs

The "Paul Harvey" to all of this you ask? Around 11:15am the Atlanta Terminal dispatcher was heard telling the crew of 154-08, "Since we don't have a crew for the run up the Greenville side, the only one available just left on the other 154, we will need to tie down your train at Nickajack."
NSSpike
CDDX
MP680.6

NSMoWandS

Nice! However, if you ever railfan a CSX line... it happens quite often... at least here in the Northeast. Esp on the Trenton Line and River Line in NJ/NY. DE Dan

Matt L

Quote from: NSMoWandS on August 11, 2014, 02:15:42 PM
Nice! However, if you ever railfan a CSX line... it happens quite often... at least here in the Northeast. Esp on the Trenton Line and River Line in NJ/NY. DE Dan

Agreed. CSX is on a hiring binge because they are short on crews, especially in the Buffalo area.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

dschlegel

I'm wondering when CSX's challenges will spill onto NS in the NE. I know in the past few weeks I've begun seeing a 15J in addition to the normal 11J. Both are empty autoracks, and I've heard that 15J is only run when CSX can't handle the train.
PA Dan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk