NS P10 with Wabash Heritage Unit

Started by ARandall70, July 17, 2012, 01:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARandall70

Here are some photos from a chase of the Wabash SD70ACe from Colon to Brickhaven, NC, on a coal train running as P10.

1: A sign of the times-spine cars for carrying logs sit in storage just off of the CSX S-line at Moncure, North Carolina. Just a few years ago, these cars were carrying logs to local plywood manufacturers.

2: P10 passes the Original Norfolk Southern station at Colon. The spurs in the foreground used to serve a brick plant, but that plant has been closed and demolished in recent years. The closest spur to the camera goes through the brick plant grounds and still connects to the CSX S-line.

3: P10 deep in the woods to the southwest of Moncure, NC.

4: As the train backed into the Progress Energy power plant at Brickhaven, I snapped off this shot of the company's logo and the crossbuck. I think it is significant because Progress has announced the closure of the plant that these cars were entering, as well as another, busier plant a Goldsboro, that will mean the end of NS unit coal trains in this area.

5: The train snakes its way on the power plant lead as the head end passes the Brickhaven station sign.

Thanks for looking.
Anthony Randall
Fuquay-Varina, NC
www.youtube.com/user/ARandall70

Ptrainman

Great shots.

Duke Energy has bought out Progress Energy. I think there will be alot of changes now that this has happened. The shutting down of plants I think is one of them. There is talk that Hyco power plant will start dumping there own trains starting in September. Currently, NS crews dump trains at Hyco.

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

ARandall70

Thanks for the complements.

The decision to close the plant(s), around here, anyway, were made by Progress well before any news of a merger with Duke. From what I understand, the merger with Duke has helped keep them online as long as they have been.

It sounds funny to say we are all now Duke customers, as we never really acknowledged progress energy. Most all of us that have lived here long enough to remember still say CP&L(Carolina Power and Light, merged 2002).
Anthony Randall
Fuquay-Varina, NC
www.youtube.com/user/ARandall70

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk