NS, or not NS, that is the question

Started by butch, August 13, 2011, 11:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butch

So I'm taking my friend Bill for a tour of the Clinchfield with a side of NS coal for the weekend and this afternoon we got a double dose of trackage rights.  We're hanging out at Copper Creek VA and after an intense storm, I bag this NS coal drag at the south portal of the Clinchfield's Moccasin Ridge Tunnel.  Then later on the NS line though Natural Tunnel, CSX runs a load of empties to Big Stone Gap to connect with the CV on their way back to KY. 
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

Matt L

Nice shots! I don't get to shoot any tunnel action here in upstate NY, so I'm a bit jealous. 
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Ponce de Leon

Nice shots, Butch! The CSX westbound at Natural Tunnel---reflected in the still waters of Stock Creek---is outstanding (but both shots are good).

As you know, this sort of traffic swapping is par for the course. Here's the cover of the January 1991 issue of Trains, which includes an article I co-wrote with friend David DeVault on the trackage rights swap ("Scratch My Back and I'll Scratch Yours"). Even 20 years later, it's an active and fascinating operation on both lines (although very routine now).

Ron
Ron Flanary

E.M. Bell

I have a well worn copy of that down the hall in library Ron...I remember using it the first time I ventured over that way...which reminds me, I promised Carm we would get over there and shoot the Appy this year..

Come to think of it, I have some of your greatest works there in the library...one must always have a handy supply of literature ;D!
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

butch

Thanks guys; Ron, I'll add that issue to my hunt list.

Matt, you need to make a road trip south...

And continuing the trend, here is what I imagine is Harlan County Kentucky coal coming southound off the NS bridge over the Clinch River between Natural Tunnel and Copper Creek.  Short version of a long story, the guy who owns the riverside property on both sides of the bridge let Bill and I check out the angles and CSX blessed us with the train.
Butch Adkins

Ponce de Leon

Here's another "essential" read if you're interested in the subject. This one actually came first (August 1985 issue), and it primarily covers the L&N Hagans Switchback----its history, the alternate routes planned, then-current operations (with a two-page color spread on a train going through the only main line switchback in the country). In truth, I spent more time researching this one than the '91 piece, which was basically a more extended look into the related trackage rights swap. The Hagans article involved researching material in the archives at the University of Louisville. Train crews reported a significant increase in the number of out of state photographers who showed up around Hagans after this article came out. Before, railfan visitors who know of and could find this place were kind of rare, I guess.

Emmitt---remember, this is slick paper, so I hope you don't use this as your primary option. :)
Ron Flanary

butch

Looks like the library is expanding-I keep mine in a different location than Emmett.   :)

thanks
Butch Adkins

Badhorse79

The switchback is a summer time trip I'll never forget also on that trip we hit saluda and the loops by old fort then if I'm not mistaken we headed over to Natual tunnel and the frisco area! Took a dip in the spears ferry creek just under the twin trestles !! Ahh the good ol days    I bet that old dodge dakota has a lotta miles on it ( I bet Kenny still has that thing )  I just miss getting out and watching trains as far away from the city as I can get!  thanks for bringing back memories

Matt L

Quote from: butch on August 17, 2011, 10:23:39 PMMatt, you need to make a road trip south...

Yeah, I know. Come to think of it, I haven't been to any NS tunnels in Pennsylvania and they have quite a few there! 
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

butch

You never know, maybe we could meet in PA/WV and go exploring.
Butch Adkins

Matt L

Quote from: butch on August 18, 2011, 10:26:41 PM
You never know, maybe we could meet in PA/WV and go exploring.

Pennsy sounds like a good idea for next year.

butch

Butch Adkins

butch

I tried to shoot the NC Loops a couple of years ago in January, but other than the shot from the bottom, I couldn't figure anything out.  Hung out at Jarret's Tunnel instead and hiked the other five [didn't to the one near Old Fort].
Butch Adkins

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk