cloudy Saturday afternoon

Started by butch, July 19, 2011, 12:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

butch

I foolishly believed the weather prediction that the clouds around Burnside would clear up last Saturday afternoon.  But after two chilli dogs at the Goody Shack and a EMB EWS report of 7 SBs between Norwood and Lex, I figured I'd just do the best I could.  The shots were very average, but it was an interesting day to the end.  

I missed two NB while I was eating so the first train I caught was a NB 913 "hauling the rail" at KD Tower.

Next up was 167 heading south, still at KD Tower.
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

butch

Shortly afterwards, I noticed the Main 1 signal was diverging clear for what turned out to be 224.

Nothing else was close so I slid up to the cuts at Dead Ox Hollow where I caught another SB.
Butch Adkins

butch

More Dead Ox Hollow action with NB 946 at MP 175 and the absolute worst sounding horn I've ever heard.

And not too long after that, 229 heads south.

At this point things died down so I decided to check out the sidings at Burnside when 223 cruised through heading south.  So, I headed down to the old spur by the Cumberland Falls signal to catch it.
Butch Adkins

butch

So now for the rest of the story;  At this point the sun finally came out for the first time all day and I knew there were three more SBs in the pipe and I had heard the dispatcher talking to one of them at Grove.  As I headed back up to Burnside, I found two of them sitting at Tatesville waiting to be recrewed-best guess is 295 and 215 or 197.  It was getting late so I gave up and headed home.
Butch Adkins

Matt L

Quote from: butch on July 19, 2011, 12:42:19 AMThe shots were very average, but it was an interesting day to the end.

What do you mean by "average"? This is excellent photography, Butch. Thanks for sharing!  ;D
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

E.M. Bell

What that 946 may have lacked in an esthetically  pleasing horn, it surely made up for in visual stimulation...I mean, you do realize just what a fine catch that is, right?  :)
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

butch

Matt, thank you for the kind words.

Emmett, I knew the 5083 and 5163 were old in a cool kind of way,  but I sense there is more to this story. 
Butch Adkins

E.M. Bell

nothing more to the story that in my book, thats just a pretty niffty catch. A pair of highood GP38-2's, you cant go wrong....heck, I would have shot it :) 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Ponce de Leon

It's so odd to think of a pair of high hood ex-Southern GP38-2s as "news." When their earlier cousins, the GP38s, were first arriving on the scene, I rode a pair of them on an Interstate mine run to Dixiana, VA and back. Here they are in a January 1970 snow storm.

Nice shots, Butch. There aren't many ways to have a bad day on the Rat Hole.

Ron
Ron Flanary

butch

Thanks Ron, you are so right.  It's like my Dad said about fishing; he never had a bad fishing trip, he just caught more fish sometimes that others.
Butch Adkins

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk