Wiborg to Kings Mountian

Started by butch, May 21, 2011, 10:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butch

I told Emmett I'd show him what he missed since he couldn't get out today.  Course the sun was wrong for just about every train I saw.

I started out north of Cumberland Falls hiking to the location of the original CNO&TP-or should I say Cincinnati Southern?-Tunnel 10.  My first train of the day was a NB at MP 181.  Turned out they were running in packs and it was soon followed by another NB that would have been entering T10 if the year was 1905.  A better look at the lead engine shows that it could use some paint.  I missed the next NB changing locations.
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

butch

There was a traffic jam at Burnside changing crews since there were a couple of SBs thrown in with the 3 NB.  I stopped by Cave Springs Rd and caught this meet.

After lunch at Goody Shack #2, I decided to head to Kings Mountian and set up for some SBs.  Just as I got there I heard a NB call so I shot it from the bridge.  I hiked through the cut and caught the first SB just below the north portal of CNO&TP T2.
Butch Adkins

butch

About a mile north of T2 is the intermediate signal near MP 137.  I caught another NB there and then shortly after that, a SB worked through the ess at MP 137.  Thanks to Emmett's info, I knew I had a while before the next SB so I hiked the two miles back to Kings Mountain.  Since is was 80+ degrees, I was ready for a break at that point.  But I heard the dispatcher telling a NB that it needed to hold for a meet at Kings Mtn.  The NB laid back out of sight until the SB finally powered up the hill with a UP leader.
Butch Adkins

butch

Then the NB peeked around the corner and started easing by the work train and then started cranking it up.  As I was packing up, I heard another NB calling Waynesburg so I shot it from the bridge.  It was coal empties.

I shot 12 trains, missed several, and managed to miss 2/3 of the symbols so I just gave up.  Did I mention the part about having great locations, all these trains, and I just planned the day wrong and got killed by the sun?
Butch Adkins

Ed Fury

I caught UP 7863 at 10:47am Saturday just before the Tucker siding, mp 288.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/texas_eagle/5745197766/

I'm going to have to get out past Danville one day and experience the higher train count out that way.

Badhorse79

Huh thats funny I was at Glendale last night and the last train we saw was T10 led by 8714 and 8813 ! Very nice shots butch ! Oh I gotta get back down there ( the rathole that is)

bierbass

Nice looking shots, Butch! I've got some vacation coming up(hint) if you can tolerate me.

Take care!

E.M. Bell

looking good for a cloudy day!  Sorry the EBEWS was not much to you Saturday though...you figure out what I was telling you about at Wiborg?
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

butch

Thanks guys.  Dan, let me know when.  Emmett, yes I did.  It looks like the old cut at the crest of the ridge has been backfilled, but if I didn't know better, I'd have been down in it checking it out.
Butch Adkins

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk