Top Gon Coal Loads

Started by thpbears, August 19, 2013, 08:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thpbears

Got me some of these off ebay today and I must say they are the best looking coal load I have found yet. They are hand made and fit nicely. Thought I would pass the info along. www.DCRailandHobby.com
I am going to order some more do the the price and looks.

NSMoWandS

Bears, ever though of picking up a piece of coal while railfanning? I grabbed a couple of pieces I found when out at Powder River Basin. I make my own loads by cutting out a piece of cardboard to fit the hopper. I paint it black and put down a coat of crushed coal on top. Real coal for my hoppers!!! FYI- coal is very light(so doesn't affect cars weight or makes it top heavy) and fractures into pieces and splinters. Anyone using this method should wear safety glasses and leather gloves while crushing the coal. DE Dan.

High Speed Kurt

A buddy of mine used to fill his coal hoppers with coal dust. That is HEAVY.

NSMoWandS

If he filled them completely... yes, that would be heavy. The ones I have made are just "toppers". They sit on top of the braces in the Bethgons I have. DE Dan

thpbears

I have been massing a large amount of coal over the year or so. Usrally for some reason a lot of coal trucks pull over onto the shoulder between Norton and Appalachia. When they leave there is a good amount of coal just sitting on the ground. I will try to make a few. It would be cheaper than buying. More money for the Heritage fleet I say.

Ladderpipe

Thp, I just picked up a whole bunch of coal loads from him last weekend. I have purchased several different times from him and have always been pleased with his product. Its now alot easier since he has a website because at first, he didn't have one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk