Fireman and oiler position on the railroad

Started by D300, August 08, 2012, 12:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D300

I took a look at the jobs section of the NS web site the other day. I noticed more than one position for "fireman and oiler." What would this position involve in the modern day railroad? Obviously it is an old term but, I realized I don't know what that person does? Is this a fueler at an engine terminal? Is this a hostler?

D300

dragonoz

I applied for this position 3 times was called back once, you would be fueling,sanding,checking oil levels, cleaning the cab,washing windows,filling ice buckets, also be cleaning around the shop and helping others with different task.

nsrlink

Such positions are referred to as "Service Attendants" in the mechanical department at my location.
PS they also clean the toilets on the engines & empty the toilet holding tanks.   ;D

CAGY 2777

Oh how ye cleaner of poop shall longeth for thy dry hopper system under thy hot summer sun....
Proud hater of RailPrics.net & their over inflated ego.

locotech

While there are various names for the job (F&O, Utility Worker, Service Attendant, Laborer, etc) it is generally the same job throughout the rail industry.
Cleaning, fueling, sanding and supplying locomotives. They also hostle locomotives in the shops and service facilities.
It is an excellent job to get your foot in the railroad industry on the mechanical side.
Not sure about the NS contract but at CSX, this position is an entry level shop job.
One hired as an F&O can upgrade to a skilled craft job (Machinist, Electrician, Pipe Fitter, etc) while maintaining their seniority as an F&O.
In times of layoffs, this has helped people stay employed, although you have to maintain two union dues.

As for dumping toilets, that is dependent on the shop where I work.
Some shops have pipe fitters dumping toilets as a local agreement in order to keep pipe fitter jobs.

At least the railroads no longer use those "crap bag" toilets.
The MicroPhor toilets do not require dumping but are a maintenance pain in the A$$. Those are being replaced upon failure on my railroad by the simple MEI dump toilets. 
Quality is fixing the problem, not the symptom

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk