A Southern kind of Afternoon on the CNO&TP

Started by E.M. Bell, September 26, 2014, 08:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

Thursday 09/25/14, after making a trip to Kansas City on 168, Southern 8099 came back South leading train 111....perfect timing!  

We had over 24 hours notice of the move, and I had intently watched the trains progress into, and then out of Cincinnati that morning. I was stuck at work until 1500, and hoped I would be able to get out in time to get a few shots in the perfect, sunny weather.  A friend let me know the train was out running on the CNO&TP a little before 1300, and after I calculated the running time down to Danville, figured I might have a shot...as it turns out, I had 3!  

I made the 45 min drive home from the office in about 30 mins, grabbed the camera, checked ATCS and was out the door headed for Burgin (KY). My timing was close, and I got there about 5 mins before the train did (which beat the 5 HOURS we waited on the Virginian the weekend before).. After getting the First shot, I got back ahead of them while they stopped for fuel in Danville, and was able to get 2 more shots and still not be late getting home for supper...thats my kind of an afternoon!  

You can find all of these shots in original size at this link >>> http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/nsocs_heritage2014

"Sitting In The Shade Watching The Pretty Ladies Pass By" About an hour after I left work, I found myself sitting under a shade tree waiting on a train, and didnt see any reason to move when it came. Southern 8099 leads NS 111 South at Burgin, KY.

I decided to brave the heavy rush hour traffic and grab a shot off the US 127 bridge at South Danville...This is still a nice location (and not for the faint of heart) but it SURE dont look the same with those new signals. I guess I will eventually get used to those ugly things, but I sure do miss my searchlights.  

Country Roads" A little used gravel road parallels the heavily used mainline of the CNO&TP at Bowen, Ky as Southern 8099 heads her train out onto single track in the perfect evening light yesterday.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

chipallen16

Looks good and relaxing, right at home. Nice shots, Em.

-Chip  :)

leroy

They look great... I love the composition on the little lane under the tree... Thanks for takin the time to post them...

leroy
leroy

NSMoWandS

Nice shots!  And, there is a small fortune in aluminum at South Danville!  DE Dan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk