SD40-2 in the dead line

Started by High Speed Kurt, July 22, 2009, 10:56:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Speed Kurt

>:(

So my dad models the L&N circa 1980 in New Orleans. Looking at his layout we determined it would be a very easy changeover to model the NS operations in New Orleans. Operating last night, I went to pick up an older Athearn SD40-2 (kitbashed hi nose) #3269. Made the cardinal sin of picking it up by the dynamic brakes. A second later, all I was holding were those dynamics. Hit the floor pretty hard, the body is pretty much ok, except the fall took out some front steps and a piece of the front of the engine near the steps. Hopefully it can be fixed, I may take the nose off and put it on another SD40-2 shell to save it.

Never pick up engines by the dynamic brakes.

Kurt

Justin Stephenson

dam ive done this before,  i learnd the hardway  but i dropped a Rare Kato sd80mac and wing fell off.. had to be glued back and itss run s fine never had a problem with it yet
Justin Stephenson /// Bad Day Of Railfanning Is Better Then A good Day At Work.

Railnet

I did that with a then new Atlas GP40 except the trucks and most of the shell disintegrated >:(
Stephen

tq-07fan

My dad and I watched an Athearn GP-9 shake off the track and hit the floor while we were working on the layout. It broke parts in the truck that were easily replaced. Runs fine again.

Many here feel your pain.

Jim

High Speed Kurt

This engine holds a special place for me, this is one of the first engines my dad hi nosed for me way back in the day. I decaled it and never was happy with the results. So Im thinking that the nose is coming off, and gonna go on a new shell, and hit the paint booth. Time for a rebuild!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk