Modeling A SD35 from gp38 frame ? ?

Started by Justin Stephenson, July 14, 2009, 08:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Stephenson

Hey just wondering about modeling a SD35 Southern . But i need to know if it will work , atlas is brings out an option to just buy shells so i was wondering if i could snap the shell on a 38 frame or will i have  to scrap a 35 to make this ? and if the 38 frame doesnt work is there another frame that would work ?

Thanks  ; Justin Stephenson
Justin Stephenson /// Bad Day Of Railfanning Is Better Then A good Day At Work.

NS145

Why don't you just get an Atlas SD35 chassis and swap shells?  I believe Atlas recently released another run of SD35 locos.  There should be some floating around.  You might be able to find a relatively inexpensive one on eBay.

The GP38 chassis isn't going to work, being a 4 axle locomotive.  You could probably use a GP38 chassis for a GP40 shell and vice versa, but the frame of the GP38 will be way too short for an SD35.   The other problem is that the SD35's had a unique length.  I believe they are longer than the earlier SD24's, but shorter than the later SD40's/SD45's.  Unless you want to build your own custom chassis, an Atlas SD35 is the only real easy solution.

NW: There's No Stopping Us!

Justin Stephenson

Ok i thought that would be easyer lol but i was wondering see if icoulda got it done today ..

NS145

Got any buddies with an SD35 that you could "borrow", at least for a few days? 

One warning: if you have never mastered the arcane art of removing Atlas shells, be prepared for a lot of confusion, frustration, sweating, and moderate to strong profanity!  The key is locating the plastic clips along the bottom of the short and long hoods that snap into the chassis.  You have to gently press the hood inward at each clip location to get the shell to release from the chassis.  The most difficult clips are the ones near the ends of the hoods.  The shell doesn't flex much in these 2 areas and that makes it hard to get the clips to release.   Also, don't forget to remove the draft gear and couplers first!

Backyard

8) The SD35 used the SD7, SD9, SD18, SD24 frame........ ;D
Backyard/Allen

Railnet

There are a few on Ebay now ranging from $11.00 for a ugly old Penn Central ;D
Stephen

Backyard

8) Early SD35's used the SD7-9 tank, so if your in that era, it would be a good place to start...

If you can find a fuel tank, like a Kato snap on, that would work, or saw the frame on a Geep or SD, & J.B. Weld them together.

If you brake a frame, drill & install a jumper wire for connectivity.
Backyard/Allen

NS145

Quote from: Backyard on July 14, 2009, 04:02:51 PM
8) The SD35 used the SD7, SD9, SD18, SD24 frame........ ;D

Right you are...  However, you still would have to deal with all the incompatibilities between different model manufacturer's chassis.  It would take  a modeler with some exceptional skills to get the retrofit to work.  Plus, it sounded like Justin only had access to a GP38.  I vote for the $11.00 PC SD35.  ;)

Justin Stephenson

thanks everyone ,  i do have acces to a couple of other locos but since we mostly this era... besides my dad wanted to have a southern fleet so he was wondering on  these sd35's but thanks to every1

scooter3798

Quote from: PEIR on July 14, 2009, 04:57:41 PM
There are a few on Ebay now ranging from $11.00 for a ugly old Penn Central ;D

I'd be willing to bet that the $11 PC unit is one of the old Atlas SD35's that were also sold under Con-Cor and a couple of other firms, they have the Roco drives under them. This is a COMPLETELY different animal than the 'modern' Atlas SD35 that was introduced about 6-7 years ago. While both represent the same prototype, they are vastly different, and as a result itwould require some work to get the 'new Atlas' shell to fit on to the 'old Atlas' frame. Your best bet is to just bite the bullet and get one of the new SD35's. They aren't that hard to find, and I have seen them at train shows in the $35-45 range lately. The easiest way to tell the old ones from the new ones is the fuel tank. The old ones have the fuel tank cast into the frame, and they have a noticable vertical 'notch' in the side of the tank (this was also present on the old GP40's and GP38's that they sold back in the day). The nw units have a plastic fuel tank that slips over the frame.

Hope this helps and good luck with the project.

Scooter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk