Main Menu

ex CR SD50's

Started by Railnet, July 05, 2009, 01:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Railnet

I have a couple of  SD50 one Athearn and one Proto 2000 and was looking at doing one in NS & the other in the group that went to NREX. I noticed that there is a difference in location for the electrical box behind the conductor. On NS 5434 ex CR 6762 the cabinet is directly behind the cab

while on NREX 5450 ex CR 6787  there is a smaller box followed by the electrical cabinet

What is the smaller box for? Does anyone have dimensions for the smaller box or is there a commercial part available?
Stephen

NSDash9

What you are seeing on the two locomotives are two different parts.

The cabinet directly behind the cab on the 5434 (it's also there on the 5450, but the angle of the photo makes it hard to tell) is the electrical cabinet air filter box. 

The second large cabinet on the walkway of the 5450 is the flange lubricator.  On the first two Conrail SD50 orders the flange lubricator cabinet was mounted to the right front of the fuel tank. On the last two orders, the cabinet was mounted to the left side walkway.  The small housing you see that goes between the cab sub-base and the flange lubricator on the 5450 is used to house and protect the lubrication lines as they are routed to the frame and then to the trucks.

This photo from Mike's website shows the flange lubricator as applied to the right front of the fuel tank on units from the first two Conrail SD50 orders:

The flange lubricator cabinet for the walkway of units from the last two Conrail SD50 orders is made by Custom Finishing as part #296.  Here is their website:

http://www.customfinishingmodels.com/

The flange lubricator cabinet for units from the first two orders would need to be fabricated from styrene.

Chris

Chris
Chris R. Toth

Railnet

Thank you Chris :) I had to go looking at the "Other" roads pictures and see what you mean. Here are a few pictures for anyone else interested.

Stephen

MrOGDEN

While we are talking about ex CR SD50's, I noticed that NS 6313 (exCR SD50) has a  yellow object on the right rear truck, is it the same bracket used for "fred's" or something else?

Thanks, Bradley

NSDash9

That's the EOT bracket.

Chris
Chris R. Toth

Railnet

Another question. In the pic of 5434 on the top of the roof between the cab and long hood there is a small gray or white box. Is that a antenna or GPS?
Stephen

NSDash9

That's a GPS tracking unit.

Chris
Chris R. Toth

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk