Help With KATO SD40-2 ( first run)

Started by Justin Stephenson, November 09, 2008, 06:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Stephenson

Hey everyone we are haveing some troubles with my sd40-2 kato first run they did and its with the copper truck pick ups wearing out and we want to know if anybody else had some problems like this with theres.... also if you have got a solution that would be great

Thanks
Justin Stephenson /// Bad Day Of Railfanning Is Better Then A good Day At Work.

Backyard

8) Hello Justin, welcome aboard!

Here is the link to Kato Online Parts.

Use the second box for HO parts, by locomotive type.
However, I did not find contact wipers for HO scale on the webpage...

I used a Google Search for Kato SD40-2 parts as a place to start.

There were issues with the contact wipers so Mr. Kato revised the trucks on several later versions...you can find them @ about $25.00 each...that may be why I could not find the legacy parts...

However & you'll have to check this one out...Part #968001 (at the bottom of the page) HO Hard Wire Kit Truck Bearing Plate, 2pc, 2 ea @ $10.00 may be a solution to the problem. 

On Athearn locomotives, I have removed the "bus-bar" atop the motor & "hard wired(soldered)" the trucks to the clip on top of the motor...Athearn only, used this method of power transmission.  This may be a clue to the solution you need.

Good luck!

(Priority Post #229 no yellow on me!) :D
Backyard/Allen

scooter3798

The hard wire kit is the way to go. After hardwiring one of mine I talked with the people at Kato and they told me about the hard wire kit, and I have since fixed three other older 40-2's with it, and it is great. Also you may want to think about replacing the circuit board. I had two of them go on mine, but if you run DCC a new decoder will take care of this problem. The truck pickup seemed to be an all around problem with the early 40-2's while the circuit boards seem to be more hit or miss.

Scooter

Justin Stephenson

Justin Stephenson /// Bad Day Of Railfanning Is Better Then A good Day At Work.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk