Parts to build c39-8?

Started by Justin Stephenson, November 08, 2008, 02:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Stephenson

I'm thinking of building a c39-8 in the hoscale but unsure of what parts, kits,bodys,frames to al luse anyone got some ideas ?
Justin Stephenson /// Bad Day Of Railfanning Is Better Then A good Day At Work.

stillbre

Justin,
Unfortunately its going to be a lot more complicated than just cobbling together parts of shells.  But you'll need at least the following:
Atlas C40-8 drive
Atlas C30-7 shell and fuel tank
RPP C32-8 shell (2 required)
The Dash-8 drive will get you the correct trucks and wheelbase but you'll have to do some milling or serious filing to fit the C30-7 fuel tank.  The RPP C32 is pretty pourly cast but offers the only cab for the C39.  You'll still need to change some things around the number boards but more or less correct.  You'll need two C32 shells to get the correct length.  If you slice the two engine rooms together the doors won't come out right but if you don't care about that then just splice and be done with it.  I cut out the engine room and replaced it with the engine room from an Atlas C30-7 shell but kept the RPP walkways for consistency.  There's several X-panels and other details that need to be scratchbuilt and something needs to be done with the radiator grilles but I'll let you take that to what ever you want.  The Detail Associates Dash-8 radiator grilles are a good starting point for the C39 radiator though.
Josh Blevins
Charlotte NC

Justin Stephenson

Thanks . sounds like alot  of work ... i might have to re consider....

Backyard

8) It can be & if you build one, why not build two?

With everything else that has been released in the last many years, I'd say one will turn up...someday!
Backyard/Allen

scooter3798

There is a great article by Ed Ryan in the August and September 1993 issues of Railroad Model Craftsman on building a C39-8. I would highly recommend reading this if you are interested in the C39's. In the article he details the different phases, and what is needed for each. Even though the article is 15 years old it still is very relavent, since the main thing needed for the C39-8 is the C32-8 shell from Railpower. The only thing in his article he uses the Bachmann C40-8, but that can easily be substituted with the Atlas C40-8.

Scooter

Justin Stephenson

Yea but fro mwhat i have heard fro mother  people beyond this formun that its alot of work  of cutting fitting and such....  and it gets pricey and might even not come out right... i think ill take my chances for somebody to  release it someday....if ever.....

horsehead power

I have a c 32-7 rpp shell and if im not mistaken from all the pics ive seen the shell closely resembles the Phase1  8550-8553 i just slapped it on a atlas c30-7 frame detailed it out.... looks good helping my coal trains up the hill....

horsehead power

that would be a c32-8 shell sorry

tq-07fan

How many other railroads operated C39-8s? I know Conrail had 21 numbered 6000-6021 built in 1986. The C39-8 has been around for over twenty years. I even have NS C39-8s running long hood forward recorded on Super-8 silent movie film. I am surprised a model has not been mass produced yet.

scooter3798

CSX got 9 of the ex CR ones (CSXT 7480-7488), those were in turn sold off to Savage Alberta (around 2005), and from there they went to NREX, with the excpetion of the 7485, where they wear their former CSX numbers.

Scooter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk