Athearn Flexi-coil / HTC trucks

Started by blue flag, October 17, 2008, 09:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue flag

Pardon my ignorance here, but I dont wanna break anything prying on something I shouldnt be.

I have an Athearn RTR  SD50 in CR-Q paint, It has HTC trucks that I would like to replace w/ Flexi-coil trucks.
Is this a simple changeout?
Do the plastic frame replicas just snap off and on of the trucks themselves?
and lastly, Where can I buy the flexi-coil trucks,  from Athearn?

thanks

nssd702502

blue flag

When you do this change out you will need the C44-9 trucks. The side frames mate nicely to these.

Andrew

scooter3798

For swapping out the flexicoils on the 50's I would first check with Athearn to see what all they offer for the Flexicoil sideframe. If you had asked this question 5 years ago the answer would be simple, however since Athearn has now offered both the SD50 and the SD40-2 with the Flexicoil sideframes it in one way makes things easier, and in another more complex. The reason I say this is that originally the HTC truck core would not accept the old Flexicoil sideframes that were offered either direct from Athearn (used on the old SD45, SDP40, and F45) or the aftermarket Flexicoils from Train Station Products (in association with Detail Associates). However, since they have since offered the 50 and 40-2 with the Flexicoils it leads me to believe that they redesigned the Flexicoil sideframes to fit the HTC core (or to be more specific a modified HTC core). I have not seen one of the new ones in person so I can't say for sure what they did. Thus the best thing to do would be to see if Athearn offers the new Flexicoil sideframe from the Conrail style SD50's and SD40-2's as a spare part. This will make life much easier for you. Other wise if this is not possible you can make the old Flexicoil sideframes fit the HTC core by trimming off the mounting pins  and moving them apart slightly. This is actually easier than it sounds, just make sure that when you reattach the pins use wire pins to secure them to the sideframe solidly.

Scooter

blue flag

hey thanks guys!!
I seen the new Athearn sd50's coming out soon have flexicoil trucks and that seems to be what the vast majority of sd50 are actually equipped w/ out on the track, ~ but my RTR sd50 {w/ HTC trucks} probably runs better then any other locomotive I own and I dont want to part w/ it, and it would look alittle more authentic w/ flexicoil trucks.

scooter3798

Blueflag,

What is the number on your 50? Conrail did in fact have some SD50's with the HTC trucks. The last order that they got (CR 6805-6834 b/n's 857080-1 - 857080-30, built 1-2/1986) were built with the HTC trucks. At this point CR had finally run out of SD35, 40, and 45 trade in units that they had to go with the HTC's making these 50's the first units on the roster since the ex EL SD45-2's to ride on the HTC's. The SD45-2's left a bad taste in Conrail's mouth concering the HTC design, and that was another reason why they stayed with the Flexicoils. However, the bad news is that if you model current NS you are up the creek with the HTC equipped SD50's, as all of the NS ex CR SD50's with the HTC's are off the roster. They were units NS 5461-5477. The units were subsequently added to the NREX lease fleet wearing their NS road numbers under the NREX banner. I believe that this occurred around 2003/2004. Some of these units spent time on the Appalachian and Ohio for a about a year or two, and then I think that a couple of them ended up on lease to the CP and BNSF for a while.

Scooter

blue flag

Scooter,
  My modeling focus is on the nearly present to present, a mix of NS & CR paints of what I've in the past 5 yrs,
and I will buy a 70M-2 and an EVO when athearn brings them out.

my CR "Q" painted SD50 is  #6805 ~ so it did come w/ HTC trucks soo, now that you have me courious, did it orginally come from EMD to conrail painted in the Quality paint scheme?
I assumed it must have been one the newer ones that came equipped w/ HTC trucks. I hadnt given the orginal paint much thought.

That explains why all of the NS/xCR 5400 series SD50s that I have seen, have had flexicoil trucks.
  However the NS 6500 series SD50s that Ive seen have HTC trucks, correct me if this is wrong but, Im under the impression that these were old NW or Southern units?
and agian im courious here, ~ Were are these 6500 SD50s Long hood forward as well?
-- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
All of  the current NS SD50s that Ive see on the rails are either pianted in CR "Q"  or NS stripes,
I dont think I've seen a SD50 painted in either Horseheard or CR "canopener" pulling frieght, Im courious to know if there are any 50's out there in these paints??

The write up about  the new athearn RTR SD50's due to come out in jan/feb 09 sounds like they will be very detailed, maybe Ill just wait and buy one of these ~ but I'll have to decide wether to buy a black one or blue one????

NSDash9

The Conrail SD50 and SD60 units were all originally painted in the Conrail "can opener" scheme. 

There are two former Conrail SD50's on NS that still wear the "can opener" scheme, NS 5415 and 5428.  None of the former Conrail SD50's have been repainted into the NS "horsehead" scheme and none likely will be as SD50's, since these units are slated for rebuilding in the NS SD40-E capital rebuild program.

I have a roster of all the former Conrail units that went to NS on my website.  This roster also lists the current paint scheme for all the active units and can be found at the link below:

http://www.nsdash9.com/crrepaints.html

Chris
Chris R. Toth

blue flag

Thanks Chris
i have to commend you on how well you keep your website up to date!!
great work!

scooter3798

Quote from: blue flag on October 28, 2008, 10:47:23 AM
  However the NS 6500 series SD50s that Ive seen have HTC trucks, correct me if this is wrong but, Im under the impression that these were old NW or Southern units?
and agian im courious here, ~ Were are these 6500 SD50s Long hood forward as well?

Yes the 6500 series 50's were built with HTC's. They were built after the merger so all were delivered in NS paint, but they have Southern heritage. The ownership was split on them between Southern, C of G, and AGS when built and then the SOU's transffered to NS ownership in 2000. They are also bidirectional. I think that there is only a handful of these units left though, I am sure Chris could give you an actual number, but I think it is only 4 or 5. Of the group 5 have been assigned to the SD40E rebuild program, 6506, 6512, 6513, 6522, and 6523. Also the 6515 was wrecked a couple of years back, and I think it sat in Chattanooga for a while with the long hood torn up on it. I don't know what became of it though.

Scooter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk