NS H65 Coal Hoppers

Started by ssw9662, September 11, 2008, 12:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssw9662

Coming soon from Atlas in their Trainman line (N Scale). These are the brand new Freight Car America hoppers that were built earlier this year.

http://download.atlasrr.com/Images/NFreight/n90ton/0808/90%20ton%20hopper%20NS.jpg

And a proto pic:

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1092937

scooter3798

Those are the 90 ton hoppers that Atlas has been pumping out since the 70's. They are decent looking cars, but they are  smaller than what the actual H65's are. Also the slope sheets are different as well. I do have to give Atlas a hand though for offering the car in the new scheme. It might not be prototypically acurate, but it still looks good enough, as is the case for a lot of interesting schemes which they have done on that car lately.

Scooter

NSyorktown

Interesting graphics on the car . . . . it's almost like they looked at the entire side panel and put the logo flush-left, top line.

Perhaps coal dust won't settle right under the top lip of the car, meaning the stripes and "NS" will stay clearly visible (even after years of use and weathering).

While it looks odd, I'll probably "just have to" buy several for my layout!

RDS

ns_7011

The closest thing I've seen to an H65 car in HO scale is Walthers' 100 ton 3 bay Bethlehem cars, the cars are identical with the ribs, slope sheets, and size. The only difference that's visible is the brake wheel.
EMD all the way.

GAandFLA-RR

Might have to get a few for my layout.  We had some scattered in a empty coal train we were inspecting the other night.  I was glad everytime I came across one.........they don't have those pesky bottom rods that run under the truck bolsters >:(
Jared

NS car inspector
Long live the G&F
LONG HOOD FORWARD FOREVER

scooter3798

Quote from: ns_7011 on March 03, 2009, 01:14:28 AM
The closest thing I've seen to an H65 car in HO scale is Walthers' 100 ton 3 bay Bethlehem cars, the cars are identical with the ribs, slope sheets, and size. The only difference that's visible is the brake wheel.

I think that this is the closest that you will get too. The only main difference is the sides, on the H65 and for that matter the rest of the new Freight Car America cars, they used the two piece riveted sides, rather than a full hieght plate as on the older Bethlehem built cars, like the Walthers car.  The only other thing that really stood out to me was the top cord. On the newer cars it is much bigger than what was used on older cars. Other than that the cars should be pretty much the same, baring a few minor details, as from what I understand when FCA brought these new steel cars out they used the same design that Bethlehem had drawn up in the 70's. It's just a shame that the Johnstown cars aren't built in Johnstown anymore, thanks a bunch Roanoke and Danville!

Scooter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk