Main Menu

weathering

Started by sd40-2 hh, July 20, 2008, 08:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sd40-2 hh

what is the best way to weather my locos?  i 'm doing from the merger to present.  so some of the old N&W's need to be drity

Hoydie17

Couple of different ways. . .

Easiest way that immediately comes to mind is a dark brown, black or maybe even a light gray color, thin it out, and airbrush it lightly onto the model.  One or two passes per coat until you get the look you want.

You could also try using weathering chalks/powders.

check with the guys over at www.modeltrainsweathered.com for other tips.

Sean
Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

Backyard

8) I agree with post #2...because he failed to suggest Dulcote.

Never use dulcote, to "weather" anything!  How many cars, let alone locomotives come from the factory "weathered?"

I can't count the number of perfectly detailed engines(what comes to mind is in fact one GP40x, in NS, on the cover of a modelers mag, that was ruined with Dulcote.

In fact, use a semi-gloss paint, or even gloss paint or a gloss finish(not testers gloss-coat), for the final finish, before weathering. Just sitting around, gathers dust, etc.

Yes, accurately applied weathering is great, just start with a shiny new paint job, and add weathering...just don't roll it in the dirt, and call it weathered.

All model railroad paint manufactures, make gloss paint, and gloss finish coat.

Notice rust lines, especially around the battery boxes, oil stains under the engine doors, overall fading of paint...there is only one shade of black, so add other colors, by your chosen method.

And as with all modeling, use a picture as a guide for styling(logos), painting and weathering.
Backyard/Allen

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk