Best Engine to run on a layout

Started by Gage O'Dell, June 30, 2008, 04:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gage O'Dell

I can't figure out which is the best engine to run on my model layout. You guys got any idea's? ???

ns_7011

SD40-2 no doubt! But HO models...I really like my Atlas C40 series units.
EMD all the way.

RJ

I personally I like anything Kato makes.........But they seem to Like N scale batter lately.......

SD -40 with a high hood Kit  ;D Or the 80MAC

ssw9662

From a performance standpoint, you can't beat Kato. Smooth running and excellent pulling power.

As far as aesthetics and detail are concerned, I love the Atlas B40-8s.

Michael Knight

Back in my modeling days, which has been several years ago, the then newly released Atlas Dash 8-40Bs were about the nicest plastic model money could buy. They looked and ran well. Apparently, Atlas has expanded their Dash 8 line; I'd say Atlas Dash 8s are the way to go!

Backyard

8) I had two Kato SD40's, in CSX #8488, and #8485.

They ran down to a speed of about 3mph, and when you let off the throttle, in momentum mode, they coasted about the length of both locomotives, with a twenty car(non-NMRA weighted) train...and took my breath!

I sold the buggers, and they wound up in Colorado, repainted as SP or DRG&W...

So...I made the two in Auran TrainSimulator's Paint Shed utility...and #8488, stands at just under 18,000 downloads, since 10-05.  I can't imagine, 18,000 Trainz addicts, in the western hemisphere, so I think Mr. CSX #8488, has gone global...(just think, what if it cost $5. per download!).

I also found that in comparison with Athearn units(pre-Horizon Hobbies) locomotives, the Athearn units ran much more "loose" in momentum mode, which made them better runners, slowing less, on a down hill grade.

Also, I saw a test track in Happy Hobo Hobbies, 4040 W. Waters St. in Tampa, Florida, last week.

The test subject, was a Walther's Proto 2000 L&N U28B DC version with sound.  The horn sound, is activated by the reverse switch whilst the locomotive is moving.  If your a GE fan, you need to check this out!

The sound package, included a very sensitive air compressor sound, activated by anything that would make an air compressor come alive, even excessive horn blowing...

The enginesound, was awesome, and I'm a hard critic of correct enginesound, because of my use of Auran TrainSimulator...(many enginesounds are available, to produce authentic "noise").

Makes me wish I had a layout...!

Backyard/Allen

Michael Knight

It's amazing how far model trains have come on the last ten years.

ThoroughBreed

The Kato SD80MAC's are nice, but I lean towards the Athearn Genesis SD70's lately (I have more of them and they are cheaper). I have 2 Spartan cab SD70's NS, and 1 Conrail. Also have 2 SD70M's, numbers 2588 and 2646 (complete with flared radiators). They will pull the wheels off almost anything else I got.
I do have a couple T55 ES40DC's, repaints of course of units # 7670 and 7519, that sound great and run awesome.
TB8)

stillbre

Its hard to beat Kato or Atlas drives, no matter what they are under.  Stay away from Bachmann and any other trainset brands.  Even Proto2000 stuff can be sketchy.  For cheap, solid runners, Athearn is hard to beat.
As far as which type of locomotive though, it would mainly depend on what you're wanting to do with it.  If all you want to do is run a short train or do some switching, I'd go with an Atlas GP38/40 or B23-7.  They offered both with high hoods and in NS paint.  The B40-8 is a decent stand-in for a B32-8 and they've also done the ex-Conrail repaints as well.  The MP15 is really nice as well but kinda weak in the pulling department.  Mine slips really bad at about 12 cars but part of that is no weight on the rear truck due to the cab interior.  And I would also qualify this by saying that I over-weight my cars for the modular group I'm in that regularly runs 100+ car trains.  Even though I've already bashed P2K in this posting, I will say I'm very pleased with my GP60s.  Even before I swapped trucks on them for Athearn trucks, they ran pretty well on big pig trains.
For six-axle power, again I'd go with a Kato or Atlas drive if possible.  Kato hasn't offered anything in NS except the SD80MAC but that model is a beast and not recommended for small layouts.  The entire Atlas Dash-8 line is very nice and Atlas has done both the C40-8 and C40-8W in NS, CR patch, and CR repaint.  The older C30-7 was also available in NS paint and runs nicely.  My favorites though lately are the Athearn Genesis/RTR.  They've done the SD70 and SD70M in NS paint.  They offer the SD50 and SD60 in NS and CR-patch.  I think they've also done a SD40-2 high hood in NS paint as well.  The RTR drive in the Dash-9s runs very nice as well.  My Genesis/RTR drives actually pull better than my Atlas/Kato drives and are almost as smooth.  The Kato/Atlas drive is much quieter though.
Josh Blevins
Charlotte NC

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk