What style of signals are used in KY by NS?

Started by kerbs, March 05, 2006, 07:04:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerbs

I was wondering if anyone knew what style of signals are used presently by NS in KY.  I am almost ready to add signals to my NS KY freelance layout and I know I have seen some signals for double track, but my layout is single track.   Any information--and pictures would help.
Living in Richmond, KY I have seen up close on Red House Rd some CSX signals, but not any up close NS ones where I have traveled to watch NS.

Thanks

Kerbs

nathan

Kerbs, I am really interested in if you received any information about NS signaling. I am setting up an HO layout here in Lawrenceburg, KY, and my grandson is watching my every move. I would give you anything I have but I don't have anything, sorry. Do you?

cmherndon

On the Second District, NS still has many of the old GRS (Genral Railway Signal) searchlights still in place, although they're being replaced with the Safetran tri-light "beanpoles", the latter of which have no moving parts.  Most of the old cantilevers up on the First District have been replaced with the new Safetran signals.  

A few photos...

Closeup of a double headed cantilever signal at Waynesburg.

NS 143 splits the intermediate at Millidgeville

196 passing a pair of the newer style signals at Harriman Junction.

E.M. Bell

There are Two basic types of signals (in several configurations) in use on the CNO&TP.

The older stuff has the GRS "SA" type heads.  The SA head is also called a "searchlight" signal, and consist of one lens with movable colored filters to produce the required colors. These have lots of moving parts and have become exspensive to maintain. NS has been slowly but steadily replacing these over the past few years. I love the look of this type of signal...it has that old standard Southern look, very photogentic!

examples..

Interlocking at South Fork Ky with SA type heads. Soutbound signals for double track on a overhead, Northbound on a single pole. This is pretty much the same configuration used at most interlockings where double track ends/begins.

At locations where there are crossovers on double track, most locations have a overhead at each end of the interlocker with Two heads over each track. Here is the Northbound signal at Waynesburg, Ky

At locations on single track, there are intermediate signals. These are typicaly Two heads on a single mast. Some locations have these mounted on the same pole, others have a pole in each direction. A few locations still have a overhead bridge for this application.

Intermediate at Cumberland Chair (just North of Somerset) with signals for both tracks and directions mounted on a overhead.

Intermediate at Milladgeville (Moreland) with two heads on a single pole for Northbounds (approach for start of double track at Bowen) and a single head Southbound.

As I said above, the older SA heads are being replaced, as are the overhead signal bridges. The new stuff is mostly D type Tri-light heads. These three lights on one head, one bulb for each color. No moving parts mean a longer service life. Many of these have a neat little feature that allows a maintainer to lower the heads via a built in winch system, meaning they dont have to climb to service them. These are mounted in the same ways as the older types at most locations. Example

Northbound signal at Woods (somerset)..note that the Southbound signals are still of the SA type.

Hope this helps...what era are you modeling, and what locations? We might be able to help with exactly what is where with that info...
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

kerbs

Thank you for the information.  It is very helpful.  I guess then I can model both the older signals, and the newer ones.  I personally think the older ones look better.  

I model NS after part of Conrail joined NS.  

My small layout is freelance in central KY.  My town is going to be modeled with building similar to what I have seen while driving through Richmond, Frankfort, Versailles, Laurenceburg.  

Kerbs

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk