NS GP40's and SD40's w/slugs

Started by Railnet, March 22, 2008, 04:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Railnet

Hello,

I am new to the forum and am interested in doing some NS modeling. I Plan on doing a couple of SD40's  from the Athearn model and a pair of GP40's from Atlas. I have an issue of Model Railroading  that covers the GP40 and RP-E4D but nothing covering a RP-E6 for the SD40. Has anyone on here built one? If so what model did you  use for your starting point?

Stephen
Stephen

RJ

I built an RP-E4D and a RP-E6Y.  The E6Y was fairly easy, I started with a Dummy Athearn Trainmaster and cut the shell at the walkways.  Due to the fact the E6Y?s are very boxy, it was easy to use the styrene plastic and make the slug.  It turned out ok but I am getting ready to start another one, I have some of the tricks down now.

The E4D was a little harder.  I started with a Athearn Dummy GP-9.  Cut the Shell at the walkway again.  I used Cannon and Company EMD Ends and Long Hood Sections.  I also went looking through my old part and found the Proto 2000 Dynamic Brake Section.  Some cuts, Putty and a lot of sanding and I?m about 90% done.  Just have to weather and seal.

I am Very happy with the work that I completed. Now they May not be perfect, but they are close?..It was a fun project and with the pictures from Dash9 and NSlocos, you should be able to find what you need

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk