Atlas N Trainman N&W Boxcar

Started by Norm, February 25, 2008, 07:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I picked up a 50' Sieco Boxcar painted for N&W.  When was the prototype introduced and what periods was it used in?  It looks like something from the 70s-early 80s.  No real reason for that assumption, it just gives me that impression.
Norm

stillbre

I'll have to double check the build dates but these I believe were built approx 1982.  Just going by the Claytor-era font on the cars puts them about merger time.
Josh Blevins
Charlotte NC

Norm

It probably doesn't mean much, but the build date on the model is 9-75, which is part of what put me in the 70s-80s frame of mind, but I always hesitate to trust something slapped on by a model manufacturer.
Norm

stillbre

When you said SIECO car I automatically thought Athearn since I have one of the HO scale cars.  Its in the Claytor scheme.
Josh Blevins
Charlotte NC

tarnett

I've searched the Atlas site for a Sieco box car to no avail so I'll assume this is an Athearn car.  The various numbers of the cars offered by Athearn fall under the B137 class (road #s 57500-57999) and were built during 1975 as you stated. This information was taken from the N&W Equipment Guide dated January 1, 1979.

Todd

stillbre

Todd,
Does Marcus have one of these cars yet?  It'd look pretty good on his layout and he doesn't have many home road box cars.
Josh Blevins
Charlotte NC

tarnett

Josh,

I know he bought a couple of boxcars in the Claytor scheme back in January during our trip to Bruce's operating session. I don't think they were the Athearn Siecos. However,  I could be wrong.

Todd

Norm

I rummaged through my boxes and you are right, it's an Athearn car.  It's the only Athearn I own, so I had forgot what brand it was and just assumed Atlas since that's what quite a few of my cheaper cars are.  Thanks for the info.
Norm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk