Main Menu

Rolling stock???

Started by blue flag, February 11, 2008, 11:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue flag

I am new to model RR-ing,  I have got several Loco's now and am about ready to starting looking into getting myself some rolling stock.
Any suggestions as to whats are good products for the money, whats too delicate, what works well and what does not??
im interested in having consists of coal hopper cars, intermodal well cars, ethanol tankers, maybe a mixed frieght w/ a touch of everything.

ssw9662

What scale are you modeling?

For HO scale, I find Athearn Ready-to-Roll cars to be the best value for the money. They are fairly inexpensive, but they still look pretty nice.

For N, Atlas offers some good rolling stock that doesn't cost too much (Particularly in the Trainman line).

If you want to see a list of NS rolling stock in N Scale, check this thread out. An HO scale version is on the way as well.

Hoydie17

Athearn RTR is generally best value for the money, Atlas also makes RTR "TRAINMAN" rolling stock which is pretty good stuff for the price. 

Walthers is the staple of any model railroader's collection in terms of rolling stock. . . above average quality at an average price.

Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

blue flag

Im modeling HO scale, and right now I am most interested in intermodal freight cars and containers, altho I do plan on buying some coal hoppers. ~ thanks for your input!!!

Hoydie17

Quote from: blue flag on February 20, 2008, 09:38:32 AM
Im modeling HO scale, and right now I am most interested in intermodal freight cars and containers, altho I do plan on buying some coal hoppers. ~ thanks for your input!!!

You'll want to stick with Walthers and Athearn then. 

I'd say go with Walthers or maybe even Bowser coal hoppers, depending on your era.   And go with Athearn intermodal equipment.

A fair word of warning, Athearn's and Walthers intermodal cars/containers are not interchangeable with each other without some modifications.  So if you buy Athearn wellcars, buy only Athearn containers to save yourself the nuisance of fixing the holes. 
Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk