Introduction and Dash 8-32B Question

Started by Bubba Kingfloat, January 14, 2008, 10:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba Kingfloat

Hey all from Sunny but collllddd  Southeast Arizona! I've been 'fanning and building for many years but only recently decided to get serious about my NS modelling. Ya see, I grew up and lived in New Orleans until recently and had my choice of railroads to work with. Now that the Army has me miles from any railroad I have grown nostalgic for NS, Oliver yard, and the other railroads of the Crescent City. But I digress...

My question is probably old hat for y'all but not for this old and penitent  Southern Pacific guy. I'm working on a Dash 8-32B (in HO) and can't figure out what the box is on the walkway in front of the engineer. I figure I could scratchbuild it, but if I know what it is I might build it better. Of course, if there's a part available, that's even better ;)

Any help will be greatly appreciated. And I already like what I've seen...

NSDash9

Welcome to JREB!

The box in question is for holding spare coupler knuckles.  This part is available from Overland Models as part #9719.  Also, Plano has shown some samples of these boxes, but I don't believe those are available yet.

Here's a photo showing the box:

Chris
Chris R. Toth

Bubba Kingfloat

Chris,
Nice to be taught a lesson from you (I have your NS Diesel loco book from my earlier NS fan incarnation...which I should have read more closely)!
Being used to Espee setups, I completely forgot about long-hood front, bi-directional control stands, etc...so I was looking at the short hood and saying "front" when, well, I'm still re-learning...

Espee actually used a similar box too (Sunrise (I think) made them. What I was really looking at is the tall, rectangular box on the walkway on the short hood...By its location I was thinking it might be similar to the ICE compartment on the SD70's, but then what do I know (methinks verrry little).

NSDash9

Nobody makes that part, so you'll have to fabricate your own out of styrene.

Chris
Chris R. Toth

Bubba Kingfloat

Thanks, Chris. I guess I'll be whipping out the box of plastic scraps now!

Backyard

8) Gosh, if your scrapping it, here's some tips...

I wished to build this beast, from a Dash 840B....as far as I can tell, only the engine (cab-GE parlance) doors need to be modified.

The Dash 832B, has the same wheelbase, as the U-boat, or B30, or B36-7.

It's that simple....if you could purchase a Rail Power Products Dash 840B carbody...

Instead of eight doors at the engine compartment, you need six.

There is some overhange, on each end, however it is present, on this unit.  GE, won't let out the detailed diagrams, as that is proprietary information, pertinent to the purchaser, and I did not pursue this.

I had a Gp59, from Overland Models, and let it go, and now am in Trainz Simulator 2006.

And...don't be afraid, to modify the Atlas D840B...
Backyard/Allen

Bubba Kingfloat

Luckily I am using the RPP body ...and if I squint just a little, under that black paint it sure does look like 6 doors ;)

Seriously, with some projects the "two foot rule" applies.
Now, my GP38-2 projects will be another story (can we say "Railflyer Prototype"???)...

Backyard

8)  I agree...to a point.

Not studying the engine door section of the carbody, is an option....

But pulling up beside a Dash 840B, the total frame length, gives the impostor away!

As I advised, the Dash 832B, uses the same wheelbase, as the U30 or B30.

Now that would be something to brag on!

Not an impossible kitbash, would not qualify as a scratchbuild, for MMR certification.

Do your modeling, as you wish...
Backyard/Allen

Bubba Kingfloat

Okay :(

I'll admit it's cheating but after contemplating converting a few P2K GP9's into IC GP-10's, I have started to question my sanity.
Of course, since my "project" is building what I saw and photographed in New Orleans in the mid-90's, I have to say that I saw more SSW, BNSF, and CSX Dash 8 B's than NS examples. In fact i don't know if I ever saw one!   
So anyway, I appreciate and understand what everyone's saying...maybe I'll just build an ex-Conrail unit????

Backyard

8) Custom conversion, is all part of model railroading!

I have created U18B's, from U30B's, built the RPP SD60 into NS several times, custom painted the CSX yellow nose scheme on several loco's as soon as Microscale released the decal set, many Southern Railway locomotives using Imitation Aluminum decals, and even masking the IA carbody band.

Created a GP30 high nose, using a Front Range High Hood Kit,

A Southern Railway B23-7, with high hood RPP/Cannon.

I done it!
Backyard/Allen

nsdtk

That box on the short hood end is the conductors heater it is recessed so you dont wack your knees on it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk