Norfolk Southern OCS on a "smaller" scale.

Started by Mike Walker, December 18, 2007, 08:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Walker

I found some NS Business Car decals on E-bay. Painted up an eight car OCS train.
Michael A. Walker
Always a fan of the Southern Railway.
Traveled 29,000 + Miles on Amtrak.
Live near Mile Post 333 on NS Louisville District.

Michael Knight

Those pictures are very nice. The scene looks very real to me. ;)

CP Alliance

Yes, very nice! I just started the process of doing my own. I still need to pick up the dome car at the hobby shop. I was wondering, what paint did you use and are those cars (besides the dome car) scratchbuilt? If not, what cars did you use. Looks very good. Can't wait until I get mine finished. Thanks.

Mike Walker

Eight of the Nine cars are Rivarossi ( 1 Diner, 3 Pullmans, 3 Observations "Heavy Weights", & 1 Observation/Lounge) I purchased off of e Bay. The full dome is a Bachman that I had painted in Amtrak Phase IV. All of the Rivarossis received Walthers 2 or 3 axle trucks. The Observation/Lounge is the standard Rivarossi observation of the Pennsylania style. This car I cut the end off to make the "theater car" ""Buena Vista"
I also modeled a 60' box car with louvers for a power car.

Paints were Floquil "Tuscan" #F110025, "Engine Black" #F110010, & "High Gloss".

Decals were from Shell Scale #161 "Norfolk Southern Business Cars".

Next project will be the "Fs".
Michael A. Walker

E.M. Bell

I Slid this one on over to the modeler's board, as it seems to be headed towards a good discussion.. 

Mike, Cant wait to see your NS F's when you get them done,  be sure to share some pics.  Your not gonna "modernize" that set of Southern FP7's into the NS units are you??  :)
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Hoydie17

Shouldn't have to, Athearn just released, or is about to release factory painted NS Excutive F-units.  I could have sworn they should have been on shelves already. . . 
Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

ssw9662

Wow, that looks great!

By any chance, do you have a closeup shot of the full-length dome car?

Bob Harpe

The Athearn NS F-units are already out and in the hobby shops.

Bob Harpe
Savannah, Ga.

Mike Walker

ssw9662, Here's a shot of the Full Dome "Delware".
Michael A. Walker

NSyorktown

Excellent work, Mike!

And I too can confirm that the NS F-units are out.  I almost picked up the set at a train show three weeks ago.

Here's the link to the Athearn site.  Add your Zip Code in the lower right, and see when they might be available in your area.

http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH80189

Happy modeling . . . . RDS

Bob Harpe

The NS F-units are being produced in Athearn's ready-to-run line of models and although painted very nicely, are models using their original F-units produced many years ago.
I'm looking forward to seeing decals from Microscale so I can build a set of these units using the Highliner shells.

Have a great day,

Bob Harpe

Hoydie17

They are also supposed to be releasing the NS Tuxedo units in the Genesis Line with better detail, sound and DCC installed.   Not sure when that will happen though.
Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

Bob Harpe

Although it's not an NS F-unit, here's a shot of the latest F-unit to roll out of the shop.

Bob

Mike Walker

Finished the OCS train with a set of Athearn's Fs. Purchased at Scale Reproductions in Louisville for $59.95 today. A (powered) unit & B (dummy) unit  come in the set. I powered the B with another motor and frame I had.
Michael A. Walker

stillbre

Good looking train there Mike.  I have one planned myself but I plan to build my effs from Highliner shells on Stewart drives.  I haven't decided what route I'll take on the passenger cars though.
One quick question.  I noticed your F-units have the HEP exhaust that NS added during rebuilding.  Was this factory-applied by Athearn or did you add it yourself?
Josh Blevins
Charlotte NC

Mike Walker

The Exhaust, Hand Rails, Horn, & Ditch Lights were added.

The Exhaust was made from a 6/64th plastic tube heated and bent. The brackets were made from the "coupler box end" of a hook horn coupler sleeved over the tube.

The Ditch Lights i just drilled out holes and added fiber optic line to the original Headlight bulb.
Michael A. Walker

Jim

Looking for any info on the OCS Passenger Car decals.   Ive built the A B A units last fall from Athearn Genesis
western maryland units.   I have 4 of the passenger cars in various degrees of completion. 
Cant locate theater car,  decals,   any help would be appreciated.

Mike Walker

For the car decals: www.shellscale.com  HO Scale item #161
For pictures of most of the fleet: www.jefflubachanskycpa.com/ns-ocs.html

As for the theater car, I scatch built mine fro a Rivarossi Pennsylvania style observation.
Michael A. Walker

CP Alliance

I was wondering if you could post some pics of your observation cars? Thanks

Michael Knight

Do you have any pictures of the geep-- the one pictured with the F-units-- that you could share?

Mike Walker

NS Boxcar

The "geep" is a stock Athearn unit.
Michael A. Walker

Mike Walker

CP Alliance
        The Observations cars were all just stock Rivarossi's painted. I painted up 3:
"Claytor Lake" NS 3, "Roanoke" #5, & "Carolina" #2.
Michael A. Walker

Jim

Thanks Mike,  I have ordered the decals,  I could not get the other link to work though. 
Do you have a website for your layout?  If not let me know I can hook you up free of charge.   No advertisement banners etc.

E.M. Bell

I also have pics of every OCS car that was on the 07 derby train, if anyone needs them for reference.   Check this link.. 

http://jreb.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=9800

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

ns_7011

If I was still into MSTS I could skin those coaches and boxcars for you and we'd have a good NS executive train, all we would need is the F units and a decent passenger car shape file.
EMD all the way.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk