Atlas Trainman set....Any thoughts

Started by Dieselfan, December 11, 2007, 05:10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieselfan

Just bought my son his first real trainset for Christmas,and hope to build a small layout for him first of the year.I bought the Atlas Trainman set with the NS GP38-2 .Anyone know how well they run and hold up?  Anyone have any expierence with the Atlas stuff ? The Atlas set looked to be fairly good quality. I'm used to Athern power so any info would be appreciated!
EMD ; There is NO Substitute!!!

Michael Knight

Based on my experiences, Atlas stuff is pretty good; Although, it's been six years since I've bought any model railroading equipment. My last purchase was for a pair of HO scale Dash 8-40Bs painted CSX.

scooter3798

First off excellent choice for a starter set. The Atlas Trainman locos are the same as the high end Atlas stuff on the inside, the only difference is that they left some of the details off of the shell, but still not a bad looking shell by any means, except that stupid snow plow, but that is a different story. Operationally you can't beat the Atlas stuff. I have a number of the Trainman cars, the same that are included in the set, and they are very reliable. Again the only difference between them and the high end Atlas stuff is the detail parts. Still for the price of the Trainman cars, you can't beat them! The only suggestion I have to improve the cars would be to swap out the couplers for Kadees. Kadee's #5, 58, 148 are drop in fits for the stock couplers, and they are THE BEST when it comes to couplers.  This set will make the old Athearn stuff seem like dinosaurs.

Scooter

Dieselfan

Thanks for the replies! I went home and took out the loco and cars for a closer look,and was quite pleased at the details and quality.If it runs as good as it looks,my son may be watching me use it more than him! ;D

NSyorktown

Hey Dieselfan:

Model Railroader magazine has a "neat" thing on their homepage this month of December . . . . . since it is a time of the year when people are shopping around for new trains sets. 

A member of their staff explains 5 different starter sets with 1-3 minute videos, including an Atlas Norfolk Southern set.  It's free (i.e., no registration or anything).

http://www.trains.com/mrr/default.aspx?c=a&id=2107

Just click on each link and tbe WMV video will start.

Happy shopping!  RDS

Dieselfan

Thanks for the tip NSyorktown! I had forgoten about  the MR website.I have a feeling this  "little" layout is going to be bigger than the wife knows ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk