A Couple of Geeps and a GE

Started by scooter3798, November 04, 2007, 08:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter3798

Here are some individual shots of some of the CSX units that I have done.

First up is 2523, a Proto GP38-2 with an 81" nose. I repainted the unit and through some parts on it to match it to the prototype, well at least without going into a lot of modifications. Patched out the cab headlight and the class lights on it.

Next up is the 2609. Again another proto 81" nose GP38-2. This is the last of the GP38-2's to wear the all gray scheme from the late 80's. Interestingly the unit only had the front end painted yellow and not the rear hood end. Again the cab headlight and class lights were patched out. I added operational ditch lights to the front but settled for MV's on the back end.

After that we have the 2709, another Proto 38-2, but this time the 88" nose version. As with the 2609 it is a bit of a rarity as far as paint schemes on the CSX 38-2's go, as there are only a few in this scheme. Again as with the first two a full repaint, cab headlight and class lights patched over. Also as with the 2609 working ditch lights on the front, MV's on the rear.

Finally the 7888, an Atlas CW40-8. This unit started out as a factory painted but un numbered loco. I added traction motor cables and some under frame details to it as well as a couple of antennas and a new horn.

Scooter

ns_7011

I'll take 2609 and 7888 please.  ;D  :P
EMD all the way.

darkhorse2

all nice engines :) if i may suggest..paint your couplers rail brown and the pins grimy black. i think you will like them much better. just make sure the springs still flex. i have been doing it for years,and they add to the look. no offense meant.

scooter3798

darkhorse, you caught the rush part of these locos. You'll also notice if you look close that the coupler boxes themselves also appear to be cleaner than the rest of the pilots, namely because I was in a rush to get these boys finished and forgot to do them. I had intended to sell the 38-2's at a local train show, and I was in a bit of  a rush to get them done, and forgot all about weathering the couplers. I was surprised that no one pointed it out sooner. You will also notice if you look closely that the steps from behind the cab are missing off of the 2709 as well, and also that I knocked out the second step up on rear set of steps on the engineer's side of the 2523 while I was taking the pictures. I had the 2709 apart prior to taking the pictures, and I forgot to stick the steps back in when I took the shots. Preferably I like to shoot the finished shots in natural light, so all of the 38-2's will be touched up and reshot outside, if the sun ever decides to come back out here! Thanks for picking up on it though darkhorse. I normally use a mix of some airbrushed rust brown and then a wash or two of burnt umber artists oils on the couplers. As for the trip pins, or as I like to call them "plow eaters" I normally hack them off, for uncoupling I use a small screwdriver as a pick to uncouple things manually. Thanks for the compliments as well though darkhorse and ns_7011.

Scooter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk