NS tophat. Help plz?

Started by ns_7011, October 24, 2007, 06:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ns_7011

I was going to sell my buddy Chase(55671) an Athearn C44-9 in NS horsehead paint #9882, but I looked at it and realized it needed a lot of work. In fact...too much work, the white face needed to be turned back into just a white brow, the headlight need moved up and the numberboards did too, along with the fact that I must have snapped the cab's plastic piece that locks it into place. So I decided to start on a tophat in the horsehead paint. Anyone know where I can get an Atlas C40-8 shell? I need the narrow cab, nose, and other details from the Atlas shell to salvage for the tophat.
EMD all the way.

Michael Knight

Wow! Someone actually makes a decent Dash 8-40C model now. Why weren't all of these good models available when I was a kid? I used to dabble in HO back then.

cjr9703

Besides the fact that the trucks on the C40-8 will have to be replaced with the dash-9 style trucks, what other modifications are required?  (other than the a/c unit on the roof)

Isn't the dash 9 longer than the dash 8, or am I imagining that the newer model is bigger?  

Can someone post some roster shot examples of the two NS locomotives?
Chuck

ns_7011

What I'm doing is taking an Athearn C44-9W, cutting out the battery box, removing the cab and installing an Atlas C40-8, or B40-8, cab, nose, and utility boxes around the cab. I'm just using the C40's shell for parts. And yes, the C44-9's are longer the and C40-8's.

http://www.nslocos.com/ns8700.html
http://www.nslocos.com/ns8779.html
Note the -9 is longer. And 8779 also has a lovely RS5T  ;D
EMD all the way.

cjr9703

The link of 8779 is unusual!  Interesting that it has the horsehead and whitebrow scheme.  I didn't realize that some of the older GE's were getting repainted.  From what I've seen of the D8-40Cs, they need some paint, too.  All the ones I've seen have pretty much faded to a dirty brown now!

Best of luck on your model.  Post some pics when you get it done!

Chuck

darkhorse2

have you tried to contact atlas directly  for the shell?

ns_7011

No but I recon I should. I've been looking on ebay but I guess as a last resort I'll have to go to atlas.
EMD all the way.

Michael Knight

Quote from: ccaranna on October 24, 2007, 10:46:03 PM
The link of 8779 is unusual!  Interesting that it has the horsehead and whitebrow scheme.  I didn't realize that some of the older GE's were getting repainted.  From what I've seen of the D8-40Cs, they need some paint, too.  All the ones I've seen have pretty much faded to a dirty brown now!

The problem with Dash 8 and Dash 9 standard cab units, numbered 8714 and up, is that the Scotchlite lettering hasn't held up well. It seems to be prone to peeling and cracking. Of course, fire damage on the engine compartment is another problem contributing to these units' poor aesthetic condition as well.

scooter3798

I know that you can get pretty much any part for any Atlas loco from the last ten years directly from Atlas. A couple of months ago I was actually able to get a part for a C30-7 from them, and they haven't been offered in at least 5 years. So I don't think you'll have any problem finding a shell. I would suggest checking out their site, as they have the parts listed on there. Also if you need any other Atlas parts it is nice to order a bunch at once that way you can save on the shipping. Hope everything works out for you, and lets see some pictures.

Scooter

ns_7011

Thanks, I'll send out an email tonight.
EMD all the way.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk