Main Menu

maersk sd40-2

Started by trainskinner, July 18, 2007, 09:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainskinner

here's a digital model of the maersk ns unit i'm working on for microsoft train simulator... what is the reason for ns using the maersk name like this? does maersk have any other engines? -mike

CP Alliance

Mike- NS 3329 was painted to celebrate the opening of a new Maersk facility in California. It was paired with BNSF SDP40F 6976 also painted in Maersk paint. The Santa Fe had a GP60M #146 painted in a special Maersk for a special Maersk promotional train sometime in the 1980s if I am correct. I hope this helps you.

Junior

I am impressed with your digital model.  Is it difficult to make digital models?  What software is used?  Do you have anymore Images you can share of NS power?

Later
Junior

ssw9662

Great work! I tried doing the 3329 for MSTS a couple years ago and I lost it in a computer crash. Nice to see that somebody else is making it.  :)

BTW: What SD40-2 shape are you using, or did you make your own? That particular one doesn't look familiar to me.

Quote from: Junior on July 18, 2007, 01:17:58 PM
I am impressed with your digital model.  Is it difficult to make digital models?  What software is used?  Do you have anymore Images you can share of NS power?

Later
Junior
Speaking from my own experiences with Train Simulator, I'd say there's definitely a bit of a learning curve to it. There are a few programs out there like Gmax, 3D Canvas, and Train Sim Modeler that are needed to create a model. Google Sketchup is available for free, however it's not as flexible and I don't think you can make locomotives or rolling stock with it. I use Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop for texturing (Though it can be done in Paint, PSP or Photoshop works the best).

I've done several textures before, but I've never had the patience to make my own shape.

trainskinner

thanks for the info on the maersk loco... interesting.

the 3d model is from ed sketcher of ed's trains (www.edstrainsonline.com/store/). he uses train sim modeler commercial. we have just started making a bunch of locos for msts... the ns livery being the lastest soon to be for sale. he makes the models and i "paint" 'em... very time consuming but a labor of love as most hobbies are.

i use corel photopaintX3 for my texturing and some really nice plugins for the weathering.

i haven't made any 3d locos myself yet, but i'm learning google sketchup... it has its limitations but it's extremely easy to learn... you can make locos but as was mentioned the animation is lacking.

Hoydie17

I think Junior would like to get a .jpg 3D-image of a few different NS locos for us to use as backgrounds here on JREB.  We'd rotate them out from time to time or something. 

- SD40-2 (Hi  and low nose)
- GP59 (Southern Paint Scheme #4610)
- Dash 9 (Horsehead/Eyebrow)
- SD70M-2
- DASH 8 (Ex Conrail)

Think you could help us out TrainSkinner?  They'd need to be essentially on transparent backgrounds? 

Thanks,
Sean
Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

trainskinner

sounds interesting... let me put that on my to-do list... i'll get you a few here and there as time permits... i'll start with some of the hi hoods i'm working on.   here's the digital ns set for msts  so far...  -mike

Hoydie17

Great, do you have any others of just single locos? 

Taken from that same angle of course, almost like a graphic roster shot?

Sean
Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

edstrains

with the Update it looks pretty impressive.

Yes I'm the builder takes and it does take quite a while to create them.

I basically go from the pictures I can find of each engine, and as close to it I can get for great details.

TB4JY

Nice job Ed and skinner.

edstrains

Thank you

Been having some crashing problems Hopefully I am solving them as I rebuild them. Once again Got my beta Tester playing with them to tell me if the new one is working out right.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk